1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redox potential (Using the Nernst Equation)

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    The redox midpoint potential (Eo’) of NAD+/NADH at pH 7.0 is -320 mV. If the total concentration of {[NAD+] + [NADH]} is 1.5 mM in cells, and the cellular redox potential is about -200 mV, what are the concentrations of [NAD+] and [NADH], respectively? Under certain oxidative stress conditions, the cellular redox potential is increased to -100 mV. What will be the concentrations of [NAD+] and [NADH] in this cell under the oxidative stress conditions? (Assume pH 7.0 is not changed under oxidative stress conditions).

Eh = Eo' - (RT/nF)ln(reduced/oxidized) but what does he mean by "oxidized," the molecule being oxidized (NADH) or what has been oxidized (NAD+)?

When I do this problem I keep getting an extremely small numbers that do me no good in the end; what am I doing wrong here? I'll just show the first part of the question (Eh = -200mV).

Eh = Eo' - (RT/nF)ln(reduced/oxidized)
    Eh = -200E-3V, Eo' = -320E-3V
    -200E-3V = -320E-3V - [(1.987E-3)(298)/(2)(23.1)]ln([red]/[ox])
    120E-3V = (-0.01174)ln([red]/[ox])
    -10.2 = ln([red]/[ox])
    e^(-10.2) = [red]/[ox]
    6.30957344E-11[ox] = [red]

[ox] + [red] = 1.5E-3M (total)
    6.30957344E-11[ox] +[ox] = [red]
    From here, because the coefficient for [ox] is so small I get [ox] = [red].

Any help is greatly appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

"reduced/oxidized" means the concentration of the reduced form of the ion or atom or specie divided by the oxidized form of the ion or atom or specie.
  4. Nov 6, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What units are you using for R and F?
  5. Nov 6, 2008 #4
    R is 1.987E -3 kcal/mol/degree; F is 23.1 kcal/V/mol.
  6. Nov 7, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

RT/nF should give about 60 mV/n, it doesn't.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?