1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Redox Reaction With Nx Nitrogen Compound

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hydroxylammonium chloride reacts with Iron(III)chloride (FeCl3) in solution to produce Iron(II)Chloride, HCL, H2O, and a compound of nitrogen. It was found that 2.0 g of iron(III) chloride reacted in this way with 31 mL of 0.200 M hydroxylammonium chloride.

Suggest a possible formula of the nitrogen compound produced.
    This should be a known nitrogen compound

2. Relevant equations

NH3OHCl + FeCl3 ----> FeCl2 + H2O + X

3. The attempt at a solution

mole FeCl3
    2g(1mole/162.2g) = 0.012 mole
    mole NH3OHCl
    31.0ml(1L/1000mL)(0.2 mole/L) = 0.0062 mole
    FeCL3 = 0.012/0.0062 = 1.9 = 2
    NH3OHCl = 0.0062/0.0062 = 1

This is the part I'm stuck at. The mol ratio is 2:1 and the compound is supposed to be N2O but I don't know how to arrive at that conclusion.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You are OK so far. The only approach I can think off now is to use the information known at this stage (ie you know hydroxylamine is a reactant, you know how many electrons it looses) to write half reaction of hydroxylamine oxidation and then to take random stabs - trying to balance charge, hydrogen and oxygen with H2O, H+ and OH- and looking at possible products.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?