Reduced Zone Scheme of Free Electron Gas

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter exciton
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
exciton
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I was just wondering if there is any reason why the reduced zone scheme of the
free electron gas is looking like here (and in all other textbooks):

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~jeffwass/2ndYrSem/slide19.html

I mean I could add any reciprocal lattice vector which moves
the particular energy branch in the 1. brillouin-zone.


thanks in advance
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The reduced zone scheme is where all the bands have been translated into the first Brillouin zone. I don't really understand the question you are asking? You can't add a reciprocal lattice vector to a band to move it around in the zone, because the zone is the size of the reciprocal lattice vectors. Have a look at the extended zone scheme; the branches are periodic. if you add a reciprocal lattice vector to one of the bands, you translate it by exactly its period.
 
Edit: Yeah, you're right. There is only one possibility to move a branch in the 1. brillouin-zone.
Thanks.
 
Last edited: