Reducing algebraic function to DE

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a linear differential equation with rational coefficients for an algebraic function given implicitly by an equation. It involves solving a diophantine equation using a gcd and solving for polynomials using Mathematica's PolynomialGCD and Solve functions. However, it is suggested to use Mathematica's PolynomialExtendedGCD function for solving diophantine equations over polynomials.
jackmell
Can someone help me understand how a linear DE with rational coefficients in x is created for an algebraic function y(x) given implicitly by the equation:

[tex]f(x,y)=a_0(z)+a_1(z)y+a_2(z)y^2+\cdots+a_n(x)y^n[/tex]

where a_i(z) are polynomials. This is described in the paper, "On Expansion of Algebraic Functions in Power and Puiseux Series I" by D.V and G.V Chudnovsky which I have a PDF copy but can't attach since it's 3 Mb and exceeds the 1.9 Mb limit but hopefully I can explain the part I'm having the problem with: It pertains to solving a diophantine equation in f(x,y) and f_y.

So we let:

[tex]P=f(x,y)[/tex]

[tex]Q=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

and if we let:

[tex]r=\text{gcd}(P,Q)[/tex]

then according to the paper, we can solve a diophantine equation:

[tex]AP+BQ=r[/tex]

for A(x,y) and B(x,y) which are suppose to be polynomials in x and y. However, if I first solve for the greatest common denominator for f and f_y say for

[tex]f(x,y)=myFunction=1 + x - 2 x y + (3 - x) y^3[/tex]

using Mathematica's PolynomialGCD function, I get gcd=1. Ok, now when I try and solve for A and B using Mathematica's Solve:

Solve[a myFunction+b D[myFunction,y]==1,{a,b}]

I don't get polynomials but:

[tex]\left\{\left\{b\to -\frac{1}{2 x-9 y^2+3 x y^2}-\frac{a \left(1+x-2 x y+(3-x) y^3\right)}{-2 x+3 (3-x) y^2}\right\}\right\}[/tex]

which is just the diophantine equation re-expressed in terms of b. Can someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong? Also, if someone wants to look at the paper and can explain to me how to post it here, I'll do so.

Ok thanks guys,
Jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey guys,

I'm afraid this wasn't really a question on DEs directly but rather one just on how to solve that diophantine equation. Didn't realize that. Turns out there is a function in Mathematica to solve diophantine equations over polynomials. Didn't understand that concept neither initially. It's

{d, {a, b}} = PolynomialExtendedGCD[theFunction, theYderiv, y]

ok, that then gives rational expressions for a and b but I can then just multiply by the least common denominator, the expression:

1=a theFunction+b theYderiv

and then get polynomials for everything.

Also, seems this approach really blows up quickly, the resulting DE even for that simple function looks like it would contain extremely long polynomial coefficients and that's probably why there isn't any examples in the paper.

1. What is the purpose of reducing an algebraic function to a differential equation?

Reducing an algebraic function to a differential equation helps to find a general solution to the function, which can then be used to solve specific problems or equations.

2. How is an algebraic function converted into a differential equation?

An algebraic function can be converted into a differential equation by replacing each variable with its derivative, and rearranging the equation to solve for the highest order derivative.

3. What are the advantages of using differential equations to solve algebraic functions?

Differential equations provide a more general solution to algebraic functions, which can be used to solve a range of problems and equations. They also allow for the use of techniques such as separation of variables and integration, which can simplify the solution process.

4. Can all algebraic functions be reduced to differential equations?

Yes, all algebraic functions can be reduced to differential equations, although the process may be more complicated for some functions than others.

5. Are there any limitations to reducing algebraic functions to differential equations?

One limitation is that converting an algebraic function to a differential equation may not result in a simple or closed-form solution. In some cases, numerical methods may need to be used to find a solution. Additionally, the process may be more difficult for functions with multiple variables or higher order derivatives.