Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

References for Nash's game theory

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1
    Hi all. I recently watched a documentary about John Nash's game theory and I'd like to study more about that. My present mathematical knowledge is that of a particle physics student at his fourth year. Is my preparation enough? If so, can someone advise some references where I could study?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2012 #2
  4. Sep 3, 2012 #3
    Actually I was thinking about something more specific that could explain the mathematical foundations of the theory. Still I'm not sure if I have the right requirements in order to understand it. What level of math does it require?

5. Sep 3, 2012 #4
    Here's a quote from the historical section of the above link:
    I think John von Neumann is a pioneer in the field of game theory, and the quoted book may be a reputable source on the matter.

EDIT:
    Here's a link from Google Books to look inside the book:
    http://books.google.com/books/about/Theory_of_Games_and_Economic_Behavior_Co.html?id=_aIGYI-jGEcC

6. Sep 3, 2012 #5
    Thank you. I'll definitely look at it, but isn't Nash's theory been developed after this book?

7. Sep 3, 2012 #6
    I don't know if there is such a thing as "Nash's game theory". I know he proved a theorem generalizing the one proven by von Neumann. That is why I linked you to this pioneering work. If you feel comfortable with the contents of this work, you are welcome to explore further.

8. Sep 3, 2012 #7
    I'll see. However, thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook