References for Nash's game theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of game theory, specifically John Nash's contribution to it. The speaker has limited mathematical knowledge and is looking for resources to study it further. They mention a book by John von Neumann and Oskar Morgenstern as a reputable source and question whether Nash's theory was developed after it. The expert suggests starting with this pioneering work and exploring further if comfortable with its content.
Einj
Hi all. I recently watched a documentary about John Nash's game theory and I'd like to study more about that. My present mathematical knowledge is that of a particle physics student at his fourth year. Is my preparation enough? If so, can someone advise some references where I could study?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Actually I was thinking about something more specific that could explain the mathematical foundations of the theory. Still I'm not sure if I have the right requirements in order to understand it. What level of math does it require?

Here's a quote from the historical section of the above link:
The modern game-theoretic concept of Nash Equilibrium is instead defined in terms of mixed strategies, where players choose a probability distribution over possible actions. The concept of the mixed strategy Nash Equilibrium was introduced by John von Neumann and Oskar Morgenstern in their 1944 book The Theory of Games and Economic Behavior. However, their analysis was restricted to the special case of zero-sum games. They showed that a mixed-strategy Nash Equilibrium will exist for any zero-sum game with a finite set of actions. The contribution of John Forbes Nash in his 1951 article Non-Cooperative Games was to define a mixed strategy Nash Equilibrium for any game with a finite set of actions and prove that at least one (mixed strategy) Nash Equilibrium must exist in such a game.

I think John von Neumann is a pioneer in the field of game theory, and the quoted book may be a reputable source on the matter.

EDIT:
Here's a link from Google Books to look inside the book:
http://books.google.com/books/about/Theory_of_Games_and_Economic_Behavior_Co.html?id=_aIGYI-jGEcC

Thank you. I'll definitely look at it, but isn't Nash's theory been developed after this book?

Einj said:
Thank you. I'll definitely look at it, but isn't Nash's theory been developed after this book?

I don't know if there is such a thing as "Nash's game theory". I know he proved a theorem generalizing the one proven by von Neumann. That is why I linked you to this pioneering work. If you feel comfortable with the contents of this work, you are welcome to explore further.

I'll see. However, thank you very much.

1. What is Nash's game theory?

Nash's game theory is a mathematical framework used to analyze and understand strategic decision-making in situations where the outcome of one's own choices is affected by the choices of others. It was developed by mathematician John Forbes Nash Jr. in the 1950s and has applications in various fields such as economics, political science, and evolutionary biology.

2. What are the key concepts in Nash's game theory?

The key concepts in Nash's game theory include the notion of players, strategies, and payoffs. Players are individuals or entities making decisions in the game, strategies are the possible choices each player can make, and payoffs are the outcomes resulting from the combination of strategies chosen by all players.

3. How is Nash's equilibrium calculated?

Nash's equilibrium is a solution concept in game theory that predicts the outcome of a game based on the assumption that each player is rational and seeks to maximize their own payoff. It is calculated by finding the set of strategies where no player can improve their payoff by unilaterally changing their strategy.

4. What are some real-world applications of Nash's game theory?

Nash's game theory has been used to explain and predict various phenomena in the real world, such as the behavior of firms in a market, the decision-making of countries in international relations, and the evolution of animal behavior. It has also been applied in fields such as computer science, sociology, and psychology.

5. Are there any limitations to Nash's game theory?

While Nash's game theory has been widely applied and studied, it does have its limitations. Some critiques point out that it assumes players are rational and have perfect information, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it may not be applicable in games with a large number of players or in situations where players have varying levels of power or influence.