1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflecting telescope optics problem-Angle on the sky to angle on a mirror

Tags:
  1. Dec 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When viewed from Earth, the Moon subtends an angle of 0.5° in the sky. How large an image of the Moon will be formed by the 3.6 m diameter mirror of the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope, which has a focal length of 8.5 m?

2. Relevant equations

1/s + 1/s' = 1/f, but I'm not sure what else.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really not sure where to begin. My book only talks about refracting telescopes and we've yet to talk about reflecting telescopes in class. I thought initially it might have something to do with the distance to and radius of the moon but I couldn't figure out how to work those into the problems. I'd appreciate any help you have. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2012 #2
    The angle the object subtended at the mirror is the same angle that the image subtends - just like for refracting telescopes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook