Relationship between wavelength and voltage?

In summary, a student in introductory physics is conducting a self-designed lab to study the relationship between the wavelength of light and voltage. They used colored filters over a light to measure voltage drop in a single celled solar panel. The plotted graph appears to be linear, but without knowing the expected relationship, it is difficult to determine. The student believes intensity may play a role, but is unsure how it is related. The voltage of a solar cell is also affected by current, and further information can be found in the provided article.
maiae
Hi all,
I am in introductory physics and we are doing a self-designed lab. For my lab, I wanted to study the relationship between the wavelength of light and voltage. To do this, measured how much voltage drop there was in a single celled solar panel when I put colored filters over a light that I used to shine light on the solar cell. The relationship between wavelength and voltage as I have it plotted on a graph appears to be linear, but without knowing what the relationship is supposed to be, it's a little hard to determine. I think that this should have to do with the intensity of the light supplied to the system, but I can't think of a way that these would be related. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it does have to do with the intensity, but the properties of materials are not necessarily linear.

The voltage of a solar cell also depends on the current.

See this article for more detailed info.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cell

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and voltage?

The relationship between wavelength and voltage is inverse, meaning as the wavelength increases, the voltage decreases, and vice versa. This is known as the inverse relationship between wavelength and voltage.

2. How does wavelength affect voltage?

As the wavelength of a wave increases, the energy of the wave decreases. This decrease in energy results in a decrease in voltage, which can be seen in the inverse relationship between wavelength and voltage.

3. What is the equation for the relationship between wavelength and voltage?

The equation for the relationship between wavelength and voltage is V = c/λ, where V is the voltage, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength. This equation shows the inverse relationship between wavelength and voltage.

4. What is the significance of the relationship between wavelength and voltage?

The relationship between wavelength and voltage is significant in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It helps us predict the voltage at different wavelengths and understand how changes in wavelength affect voltage and energy.

5. How is the relationship between wavelength and voltage used in science and technology?

The relationship between wavelength and voltage is used in various fields of science and technology, such as telecommunications, optics, and electronics. It helps in designing and optimizing devices that utilize electromagnetic waves, such as antennas, lasers, and solar cells.