Relativistic addition of orthogonal velocities

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of two particles relative to each other in a given inertial frame. It is found that the speed of each particle relative to the other is v{(2-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})}^{1/2}. The conversation also includes a discussion on velocity transformations and the use of Lorentz transforms to calculate the speed of the particles in different frames. The dot product is also mentioned as a way to calculate the velocity components in a certain direction.
Pi-Bond

Homework Statement

In a given inertial frame, two particles are shout out simultaneously from a given point, with equal speeds v, in orthogonal directions. What is the speed of each particle relative to the other?

Answer: [itex]v{(2-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})}^{1/2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Velocity Transformation
[itex]v_{total}=\sqrt{v_{x}^{2}+v_{y}^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the given inertial frame be denoted by S, and let the particles be emitted in the +x and +y directions. Let S' be the rest frame of the particle emitted in the +x direction. These two frames will coincide at t=0 (time of emission), hence the Lorentz transforms are applicable.

In S', the x component of the velocity of the particle going in the +y direction would -v, as that particle has no x component of velocity. The y component would be given by the velocity transformation:

[itex]v'_{y}=\large \frac{(v) \sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}} {c^{2}}} } {1- \frac{(v)(v)}{c^{2}}} = \frac{v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}} {c^{2}}}}[/itex]

The relative velocity would then be-

[itex]v_{rel} = \sqrt{v'_{x}^{2}+v'_{y}^{2}} =\large \sqrt{v^{2}+\frac{v^{2}} {1- \frac{ v^{2} }{ c^{2} } } }[/itex]

Which would yield

[itex]v_{rel}= v{(2-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}})}^{1/2} \large \frac{1}{\sqrt{1- \frac{ v^{2} }{ c^{2} }}}[/itex]

So I have an extra factor in my answer. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the (v)(v)/c^2 in your formula for v'_y should be the dot product of the two original velocities. That's zero since they are orthogonal vectors.

Is that so? How is the expression with the dot product derived then? I just assumed that the velocity in frame S' is given by [itex]\frac{y'}{t'}[/itex]. And from the Lorentz transforms:

[itex]y'=y[/itex]
[itex]t'=\gamma (t - \frac {vx}{c^{2}}) [/itex]

where v is the velocity of frame S' with respect to S. Where does the dot product come in?

The dot product arises because only the component of velocity in the direction of the boost is contracted. I'm sure you could find a general derivation somewhere.

What I would do, though, is transform the coordinates of the second particle using the Lorentz transformations and express x' and y' as a function of t' (not t). From that expression, you can see what the components of the velocity are to an observer at rest in the moving frame.

Ok, I got the answer following vela's suggestion. In the frame S, the coordinates of the particle going up in the +y direction are given by:

[itex]x=0[/itex]
[itex]y=vt[/itex]

Transforming these to the frame S' gives the coordinates:

[itex]x'= - \gamma vt[/itex]
[itex]y'=vt[/itex]

The inverse Lorentz transform from S' to S gives:

[itex]t= \gamma (t'+\frac{vx}{c^{2}})[/itex]

Which on substituting x yields:

[itex]t=t' \sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}} {c^{2}} }[/itex]

Substituting this in the original equations for x' and y', and differentiating with respect to t' yields the velocity components of the particle moving in the +y direction in S':

[itex]v'_{x}=-v[/itex] (as expected)
[itex]v'_{y}=v\sqrt{1-\frac{v^{2}} {c^{2}} }[/itex]

And these give the required result. I assume you suggested to put x' and y' in terms of t' so that the reading would be at the same time in S', right?

Also, I don't see why the dot product is required in the y-velocity transformation. I assumed that the "v" there was the velocity in the y direction, not any arbitrary direction...none of my books shed light on this.

Pi-Bond said:
I assume you suggested to put x' and y' in terms of t' so that the reading would be at the same time in S', right?
Not really. I suggested it because [itex]v'_x = dx'/dt'[/itex], not [itex]dx'/dt[/itex].

Ok - Thanks for the help!

1. What is the Relativistic Addition of Orthogonal Velocities?

The Relativistic Addition of Orthogonal Velocities is a mathematical formula used to calculate the combined velocity of two objects moving in different directions in the theory of relativity. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is the Relativistic Addition of Orthogonal Velocities calculated?

The formula for Relativistic Addition of Orthogonal Velocities is V = (v1 + v2) / (1 + (v1v2)/c^2), where V is the combined velocity, v1 and v2 are the individual velocities, and c is the speed of light.

3. Can the Relativistic Addition of Orthogonal Velocities be used for any type of motion?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the combined velocity of objects moving in different directions at relativistic speeds. It cannot be used for objects moving in the same direction or at non-relativistic speeds.

4. How does the Relativistic Addition of Orthogonal Velocities differ from the classical addition of velocities?

The classical addition of velocities does not take into account the effects of relativity such as time dilation and length contraction. It also assumes that velocities can be added linearly, while the relativistic formula takes into account the non-linearity of space and time at high speeds.

5. Can the Relativistic Addition of Orthogonal Velocities be observed in everyday life?

Yes, although the effects of relativity are most noticeable at extremely high speeds, they can still be observed in everyday life. For example, GPS satellites need to take into account the effects of relativity in order to accurately calculate positions on Earth.