Relativistic H/-H in a neutral beam accelerator

In summary, a neutral beam accelerator is used to accelerate hydrogen and antihydrogen atoms to relativistic velocities. Photodetectors are used to record the photon energies of the atoms as they annihilate at the starting point and maximum velocity point of the accelerator. By comparing the spatial and spectral distribution of the photon energies at both ends, the momentum component can be separated out and the non-photon energy (referred to as "waste") can be calculated. This assumes a large budget and wide enough detectors to capture all decay products as photons. The motivation for this question is related to purchasing something, but the speaker wants to first be paid and consult with CERN researchers at their university.
danR
A beam of hydrogen and antihydrogen atoms is accelerated to relativistic velocities by means of a neutral beam accelerator.

Identical photodetectors gather and record the photon energies of annihilating H and -H at both ends of the accelerator: where the atoms start; and at the end of the apparatus, where the velocity of the atoms is maximum.

Comparing the spatial and spectral distribution of the energies of the photons at either end, how do they compare? Can the momentum component of the measured energies be separated out? Can the non-photon (let's call it 'waste') energy be calculated? Assume the budget is large and the detectors are wide enough to capture all the decay products as photons, but if that's confused wording, do your best with what came before.

I'll tell you the motivation this question, but I want to be paid, before I say what I want to buy.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll have to ask around the university here. They have some CERN researchers.

1. What is a neutral beam accelerator?

A neutral beam accelerator is a type of particle accelerator that uses high energy beams of neutral particles, such as hydrogen or deuterium, to ionize and heat a plasma for fusion reactions or other experiments.

2. How does a neutral beam accelerator work?

In a neutral beam accelerator, neutral particles are first ionized and accelerated to high energies using electric and magnetic fields. These particles are then neutralized again before being directed towards the target plasma. The neutral particles transfer their energy to the plasma through collisions, heating it up to high temperatures.

3. What is the role of Relativistic H/-H in a neutral beam accelerator?

Relativistic H/-H, or high energy hydrogen or deuterium particles, play a crucial role in neutral beam accelerators as they are the particles that carry the energy to the target plasma. Without these high energy particles, the accelerator would not be able to heat the plasma to the desired temperatures for fusion reactions.

4. What are the advantages of using a neutral beam accelerator?

One advantage of a neutral beam accelerator is that it can heat plasma to very high temperatures, making it suitable for fusion reactions. Additionally, the neutral particles used in the accelerator do not produce significant radiation, making it safer for experimentation and operation.

5. What are the potential applications of a neutral beam accelerator?

Neutral beam accelerators have a wide range of potential applications, including fusion research, materials science, and medical treatments. They can also be used to study the properties of high energy particles and their interactions with matter.