1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Religious Schools Frowned Upon In Physics Community?

1. May 7, 2013 #1
    "Religious" Schools Frowned Upon In Physics Community?

The University of Notre Dame is a very well know school located in northern Indiana. I live approximately 20 minutes away from the Notre Dame campus and I would absolutely love to be able to get into their Physics Ph.D. program after earning my B.S. The school is technically a Catholic school but, as far as I know, their curriculum does not mesh science with religion. Still though, it's technically a "religious school" and, as we all know, science and religion do not always play well together. Would the fact that they're a Catholic school negatively impact my future job prospects in physics, despite the fact that it's an excellent school?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2013 #2
    One of my physics professors got his PhD from the University of Notre Dame. Also, I don't think I've heard anything bad about that university. As for religious schools in general, as long as it has a respectable curriculum you'll be fine.

4. May 7, 2013 #3
    That's what I'm hoping. They have a very low acceptance rate though, so I'm definitely not giving my hopes up. It's just something of a dream, really, that I will at least attempt to make reality.

5. May 7, 2013 #4
    Haven't I seen you somewhere before, Eleknar? Oh yeah, I remember...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsmzDL61oME

You can do it, Eleknar, I have faith in you!:smile:

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  6. May 7, 2013 #5
    Lol, whatever. I'm way taller and way more bearded.

7. May 7, 2013 #6

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

Notre Dame is a fine physics graduate program. I know of at least one professor that taught me that had a PhD from there. I would not worry about it.

8. May 7, 2013 #7
    People look at the curriculum, not the affiliations of the school. Most serious religious schools do not have good science programs, so that is where people would have issues. Notre Dame however is an exception to that, they have great programs there and if you can get in, it would be well worth it.

9. May 8, 2013 #8
    King's College London is a traditionally religious school.

Didn't stop J.C. Maxwell from lecturing there.

I think you have nothing to worry about.

10. May 8, 2013 #9
    Thank you all for the input and the encouragement!

11. May 8, 2013 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook