Remind me where to find a proof of a spectral theorem for RHS

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Fredrik
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof Theorem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Messages
10,876
Reaction score
423
I know I've seen a very short article (3-5 pages) with a proof of a spectral theorem for rigged Hilbert spaces, written for people who already know the usual spectral theorems, by some guy who I think had a muslim name. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It's been posted here before, almost certainly more than once, but I just spent 20 minutes trying to find it here and on my computer, so I think it's time to just ask.

No need to hurry to get me an answer right away. I'm not even going to read it right away. I'm just making a to-do list about things I'd like to understand better, and I want to put this article on the list.

(I think I may even have asked this question before, LOL).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can always try Gelfand-Vilenkin's Generalized functions, Volume 4. However, the proof there has a mistake, which is not easily solved (but can be solved).
My favorite book is "Methods of Hilbert spaces" by Maurin. It states the proof in a different form than Gelfand-Vilenkin, and a form that I think is more useful. Than again, he doesn't explicitely say anything about RHS (he obviously does use the concept though). Other than that, the book really covers a lot of nice things about Hilbert spaces. I don't understand why the book is not more popular.
 
Thanks micro. I'll make a note of those books before I forget them too. It's interesting to hear that you liked Maurin's book. One of the reasons why I haven't checked it out is that I found a negative review about it, that complained about the presentation, inconsistencies in notation, and even some incorrect statements. Link.

I still suspect that the short article I've seen is the best place to study the theorem and its proof. I just wish I could remember. I hope that Strangrep or dextercioby does.
 
I remember saying sometimes in the past that Kesir almost copy-pasted in his work one of the appendices of Berezin & Shubin's 'Schrödinger equation' which had been based on Berezanskii's work and book in the 1960's.