Repeated and Nonrepeated Decimals

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, all decimals are either repeating or non-repeating. However, if all repeated and non-repeated decimals were rational numbers, then there would be no irrational numbers. A repeating decimal can always be expressed as a fraction with a string of repeating digits over an equal number of 9's. An example is 0.\overline{154}=\frac{154}{999}. On the other hand, a non-repeating decimal cannot be expressed as a ratio of integers. An example is $\sqrt{2}$.
mathdad
My question concerns repeated and nonrepeated decimals. Are both rational numbers? Can you give an example for each?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
My question concerns repeated and nonrepeated decimals. Are both rational numbers? Can you give an example for each?

A repeating decimal number is rational because you can always express such a number as the string of repeating digits over an equal number of 9's (one of the tricks my father taught me as a child). For example, we may write:

\(\displaystyle 0.\overline{154}=\frac{154}{999}\)

A non-repeating decimal is irrational since it cannot be expressed as the ratio of one integer to another. $\sqrt{2}$ is an example of a non-repeating decimal.

You realize, I hope, that all decimals are either "repeating" or "non-repeating". So if it were true that "all repeated and non-repeated decimals are rational numbers" then there would be no irrational numbers!

MarkFL said:
A repeating decimal number is rational because you can always express such a number as the string of repeating digits over an equal number of 9's (one of the tricks my father taught me as a child). For example, we may write:

\(\displaystyle 0.\overline{154}=\frac{154}{999}\)

A non-repeating decimal is irrational since it cannot be expressed as the ratio of one integer to another. $\sqrt{2}$ is an example of a non-repeating decimal.

More important information.

Related to Repeated and Nonrepeated Decimals

1. What is the difference between repeated and nonrepeated decimals?

Repeated decimals have a pattern of digits that repeats indefinitely, while nonrepeated decimals do not have a repeating pattern and continue infinitely without repeating digits.

2. How do you convert a repeated decimal to a fraction?

To convert a repeated decimal to a fraction, you can set up an equation where the repeating digits are represented by x. Then, solve for x and use it as the numerator of the fraction. The denominator will be a number with the same number of digits as the repeating pattern, followed by the same number of 9s.

3. Can every decimal be converted to a fraction?

No, not every decimal can be converted to a fraction. Non-terminating decimals that do not have a repeating pattern cannot be converted to fractions.

4. How do you determine if a decimal is repeating or nonrepeating?

A nonrepeating decimal will have a finite number of digits after the decimal point, while a repeating decimal will have a pattern of digits that repeats indefinitely.

5. Are there any real-life applications of repeated and nonrepeated decimals?

Repeated and nonrepeated decimals are commonly used in calculations involving measurements, such as converting between metric and imperial units. They are also used in financial calculations and in science and engineering for precise measurements and calculations.