1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research During the Ordinary Semesters

1. Feb 3, 2014 #1
    Hello Everyone,

Last semester my professor and I engaged in some theoretical physics research, which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, this semester, and I suspect my remaining semester, I am considerably busier, and I don't believe I will be able to partake in the research any longer. This leaves me with only being able to do research during the summers. My question is, will graduates schools frown upon my not being able to do research during the ordinary semesters, and only during the summer; or does the fact that I am doing some research cause me to be favored in the eyes of graduate students.

I haven't spoken with my professor yet, because I was hoping to obtain some advice on this website.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2014 #2
    Summer research placements are fine. Besides you already have done research during semester so you should be fine. If you are in the UK (from your phrasing I doubt it but still...) you undertake research projects as part of your undergraduate degree.

4. Feb 3, 2014 #3
    So, I should not concerned over the fact that I can do research only in the summer?

5. Feb 3, 2014 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There's no need for concern. Admission committees don't often evaluate candidates' research experience based on "time in" so much as what you do while you're in and what's written about you in the reference letters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook