1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reservations about future academic pursuits

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    I know that there are quite a few relatively similar posts, but for my own assurance, I would like some input/guidance regarding the possibility of pursuing a physics or engineering degree.

I'm 29, so the prospect of returning to school is rather daunting. To be clear,my high school academic record is absolutely awful (D average), and I regrettably pursued a GED rather than a diploma. While I was able to comprehend and complete the work, for reasons that I will not elaborate upon, I chose not to.

Over the course of a few years, I picked up books on mathematics and found it rather enjoyable. On occasion, I hire students from the local university to tutor math. The more I read about math and physics, the more I desire to learn. I can't imagine anything that would be as desirable as a physics or engineering degree, regardless of future earning potential, job prospects, etc. etc. I want to do this for the knowledge, not the money or the "look what I did" factor (although I do have the deepest respect for physics, math, and engineering majors).

To make an already long story short, I'm actually terrified of what to expect when I apply to colleges. I understand that I'll have to take the SAT/ACT and spend a couple of years doing well at a community college to make up for my past academic follies. However, I'm afraid that all of this won't be enough. I know that it's going to take a sizeable amount of work, but I'm afraid that my applications won't be well received by universities because someone who's almost 30 with a GED wants to study physics. Should I bother, or do I have a legitimate shot at this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2
    enroll at a community college and take the placement tests. talk to an advisor about what typical physics/engineering students take before they transfer, and then enroll for those courses.

i dont think the SATs matter once you have already taken college level courses, but i could be wrong.

ideally you will want to take Calc1-2 (and Calc3 if it's offered), General Chemistry 1-2, and Physics 1-2 (Calc-based, or "engineering physics"). Those are the main freshman courses, but you could probably do some humanities as well if you see anything you are interested in, or want to be a full time student.

If offered, Calc3, Linear Algebra and/or Differential Equations should all be required for your degree and transfer as well.

You can start with Algebra if you need to, before taking Calc1, but I don't recommend getting caught up in the PreCalc or Trig classes -- they are literally a waste of time/money as they don't prepare you at all for Calc1. They contain other aspects of math, and those courses / credits won't count towards anything.

**** the age ******** and don't sweat it :P

There are lot's of older people in classes working towards degrees, so it's really not that big of a deal at all. :)

4. Nov 23, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the information!

5. Nov 23, 2011 #4
    +1

So your story is similar to mine actually. I actually graduated from High school with a 1.8 GPA. Not that it was hard, but because at that time in my life I did not care. It took the military for me to figure out what I needed to do and after I went to CC and ended up getting a 4.0 after 52 credits and transferred into a top 20 school. Unfortunately I didn't get an Engineering degree that time so here I am at 30 going back to get a 2nd degree. It's ok though, everyone thinks I'm 25, haha. But yes, it is worth it, and yes it is doable. And to be honest, I would ALWAYS be looking over my shoulder if I never went back for this.

Good luck man,
    Chuck

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook