Resistors and currents-circuits

• Thread starter smoics
  • Start date
resistors and currents--circuits

Homework Statement

What is the current through the 10 ohm resistor in the figure ?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I supposed to use Kirchhoff's loop law? I think I have too much info. to use that. But I think the current goes from left to right.

Attachments

• physics3.jpg
    physics3.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 357

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor

Homework Statement

What is the current through the 10 ohm resistor in the figure ?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I supposed to use Kirchhoff's loop law? I think I have too much info. to use that. But I think the current goes from left to right.

Just put ground at the left end of the 10 Ohm resistor, and write the KCL equation at the right end of the resistor. That should get you going...

So I'm going to have multiple equations and multiple unknowns? Yuk. They gave us one like that in lab and the TA couldn't figure it out.... Luckily, I think the homework should be easier. Thanks.

berkeman
Mentor

So I'm going to have multiple equations and multiple unknowns? Yuk. They gave us one like that in lab and the TA couldn't figure it out.... Luckily, I think the homework should be easier. Thanks.

I think for this question, you only end up with one equation (at the right node), but I haven't worked it out myself so I don't know that for sure.

But even for questions with multiple nodes and equations, that's no big deal. Just get practiced at keeping track of all the terms, and solving the simultaneous equations.