1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reducing all circuit resistors to only parallel and series?

1. Jan 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem from the textbook is:

Is it possible to connect resistors together in a way that cannot be reduced to some combination of series and parallel combinations?

2. Relevant equations
    V = IR
    kirchhoff's current law
    kirchhoff's loop law

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am completely lost as to where to begin. My intuition tells me that if there is only 1 voltage source, the answer would be no, all resistor combinations can be reduced to a single equivalent resistor(I do not know whether this statement is true or not). However, if the voltage source becomes more than 1 at different locations of the circuit, I do not know how this will effect the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome tpo the PF.

I think that the classic infinite cube of resistors cannot be reduced. What have you found in your Google searches so far?

4. Jan 22, 2017 #3
    Thankyou for the heart warming welcome!

I managed to find the answer for this question on chegg, and it appears to be a yes. Unfortunately I do not have an account and therefore cannot see how they proved it.

I believe the Resistor Cube you suggested also answers the question, though I need to dig in a little deeper to understand how that one works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted