Ressources for becoming familiar with Monte Carlo methods in stat mech

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
liame
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I will start working on stat mech problems with use of Monte Carlo methods for a summer internship. I don't have more details about what I'll be doing for now but I'm already looking for resources for becoming familiar with the tool. I already used Monte Carlo algorithms to compute high dimensional integrals but nothing more. Which bibliography (books, lecture notes...) would you recommend me? I'd prefer something making learn by completing exercises than something more abstract and theoretical.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a variety of great resources available to help you get started learning about Monte Carlo methods and their application to statistical mechanics. Some good books to start with are "Monte Carlo Methods in Statistical Physics" by M.E.J. Newman and G.T. Barkema, and "Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Molecular Simulation" by D. Frenkel and B. Smit. These books provide a comprehensive overview of the theory behind Monte Carlo methods and demonstrate how they can be applied to statistical mechanics. For more hands-on practice, you may want to look into lecture notes from courses such as those offered by the Institute of Physics at ETH Zurich or the University of Edinburgh. Additionally, there are a number of online tutorials and resources available that can help you to familiarize yourself with Monte Carlo algorithms and their implementation. Good luck with your studies!