Retake physics 1 or take modern physics?

In summary, the individual is a bio major about to start their senior year and is considering entering a second degree electrical engineering program in the future. They are unsure if they should retake calc based physics 1 or take modern physics, and if an engineering program would require calc based physics 1 as a pre-req. It is advised to check with an advisor to confirm pre-reqs for modern physics and EE courses, as well as make sure they have the necessary math pre-reqs. The individual has already taken calc 1-3, differential equations, linear algebra, and mathematical methods in physics. It is suggested to talk to an engineering advisor and research the program's curriculum before making a decision. It is also mentioned that
Liboy597
Hey guys, looking for some input.

I've taken algebra based physics 1 (got an A-) and calc based physics 2. It's my last year of undergrad but I am planning to enter a second degree electrical engineering program in the future. Should I retake calc based physics 1 or take modern physics? Would an engineering program require me to take calc physics 1 before doing the core EE classes?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how you were able to take calc-based physics 2 without taking the first one but I wouldn't worry about taking calc-based physics 1 just cause you might have "missed out" on something crucial. It MIGHT have prepared you somewhat better. But if you got through physics 2 calc based then I'd take modern physics.

You didn't miss anything you can't learn by yourself since physics 1 has a minimum of actual calculus. Now if pre-requisites are your concern then you should probably talk to your advisor. Your pre-reqs for modern physics 1 or EE courses (depending on the school) might only be Calc-based physics 2. Or it might specifically say both 2211 and 2212 (calc based physics 1 & 2).

In summary if you don't need it as a pre-req for modern physics and future EE courses don't worry about it. Make sure that you have the math pre-reqs though. I know for modern physics its common to already have the calcs 1,2 & 3 and differential equations. Followed by linear algebra and vector calculus.

Im a little confused could you explain your academic history in more detail please?7

TehBigBoss said:
I don't know how you were able to take calc-based physics 2 without taking the first one but I wouldn't worry about taking calc-based physics 1 just cause you might have "missed out" on something crucial. It MIGHT have prepared you somewhat better. But if you got through physics 2 calc based then I'd take modern physics.

You didn't miss anything you can't learn by yourself since physics 1 has a minimum of actual calculus. Now if pre-requisites are your concern then you should probably talk to your advisor. Your pre-reqs for modern physics 1 or EE courses (depending on the school) might only be Calc-based physics 2. Or it might specifically say both 2211 and 2212 (calc based physics 1 & 2).

In summary if you don't need it as a pre-req for modern physics and future EE courses don't worry about it. Make sure that you have the math pre-reqs though. I know for modern physics its common to already have the calcs 1,2 & 3 and differential equations. Followed by linear algebra and vector calculus.

Thank you very much. Yeah I'm mostly worried about the new school saying I don't have the calc phys 1 pre-req. By the end of this school year I'd have taken calc 1-3, diff eq, lin alg and 2 semesters of mathematical methods in physics. I'll just sign up for modern physics b/c your explanation makes sense and it was what I was thinking.

Aero51 said:
Im a little confused could you explain your academic history in more detail please?7

Sure, I'm a bio major about to start senior year. I was just undecided whether I should retake calc physics 1 or modern physics should I decide to enter an engineering program in the future. I'll have taken all of the other "core" math/science courses by the time I finish.

Right on. If there's no pre-req conflicts go for modern physics. With that math under your belt you'll do okay. Remember though that engineering programs have a lot of intro engineering classes that are required to move along. Best thing to do is talk to an engineering advisor and explain to them your situation. But before you go into the office read up on the program's curriculum and requirements to graduate so the advisor serves as a confirmation to your research on the school's EE program.

In that case, have you considered a Biomedical Engineering route? Depending on what path you take you may get a very good educational combination of EE ME and Bio.

I don't know about all programs, but for my engineering curriculum I did not need modern physics. These were my basic courses before my major (AE) started to become distinct:
Calc I II II
Phy I II (calc based)
Chem I II
Statics
Dynamics
Materials Science
Mechanics of Materials (aka strength of materials)

And most importantly, call the EE department head if this is what you want to pursue

Last edited:
Aero51 said:
In that case, have you considered a Biomedical Engineering route? Depending on what path you take you may get a very good educational combination of EE ME and Bio.

The general consensus from those I've spoken to is that biomed is too broad and that its better, at the undergrad level at least, to focus on a core engineering branch and then apply those skills to the biomed side if interested.

1. Should I retake physics 1 if I struggled with it?

It ultimately depends on your goals and the requirements of your program or institution. If you need a strong foundation in physics for your future studies or career, it may be beneficial to retake the course. However, if you only need a passing grade and have a basic understanding of the concepts, it may be more efficient to move on to modern physics.

2. What is the difference between physics 1 and modern physics?

Physics 1 typically covers classical mechanics, thermodynamics, and waves, while modern physics focuses on more advanced topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, and nuclear physics. Modern physics builds upon the concepts learned in physics 1 and delves into more complex and abstract theories.

3. Is modern physics harder than physics 1?

This can vary depending on the individual and their strengths and interests. Some students may find modern physics more challenging due to the abstract concepts and mathematical equations, while others may find it more interesting and easier to grasp than the more concrete topics covered in physics 1.

4. Will retaking physics 1 affect my GPA?

Retaking a course will typically replace your previous grade, so if you do better the second time around, it can potentially improve your GPA. However, if you do worse, it may lower your GPA. It's important to weigh the potential impact on your GPA before deciding to retake a course.

5. Can I skip physics 1 and go straight to modern physics?

This would depend on your program or institution and their requirements. Some may allow you to skip physics 1 if you have a strong foundation in the subject or if you have taken an equivalent course. It's best to consult with an academic advisor to determine if this is a viable option for you.