Retired Teacher looking for better ways to post my math equations

• Thread starter Chris Patterson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, Chris Patterson found PF through a friend and found it to be helpful. He recommends LaTeX for converting MS Word documents to PDFs and says that LaTeX is more math-friendly than other attempts. He also mentions that he plans to make Scientific Word open source in the future.
Chris Patterson
How did you find PF?: A friend, @chwala, has been on the site for many years and recommended it to me.

I write occasionally about high school maths in Geogebra https://www.geogebra.org/search/chris patterson . I write in Word and convert the files to PDFs. Feeling Tense is an example.
I would like to write a blog about teaching math and science, but none of the sites I know are 'maths friendly.' If I upload a MS Word document with maths, all the maths disappears. One reason for joining Physics Forum is to try to find a solution to this problem. Perhaps learning Latex would help? I would regret having to rewrite everything I have done in Word, but perhaps starting over would be good, in a way.

Attachments

• Feeling Tense.pdf
    561.9 KB · Views: 218
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes anuttarasammyak
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Chris. It's good to have you here.

I'll move your Intro thread to the LaTeX forum in case others have some suggestions for doing the conversions...

:welcome:
Chris Patterson said:
If I upload a MS Word document with maths, all the maths disappears. One reason for joining Physics Forum is to try to find a solution to this problem. Perhaps learning Latex would help?
Mostly we do not use MS Word for writing Maths. LaTeX is the way to go. If you want to avoid installing LaTeX on your system, you can start with Overleaf. We have an introduction to LaTeX available here.

Latex is very lightweight and easy to use. I highly recommend just using it instead of trying half baked solutions.

Likes berkeman
If you want to use LaTeX but do not want to spend the time to learn it, I suggest either Scientific WorkPlace or Scientific Notebook, both available through Mackichan.com. I have used SWP for about 35 years and would not be without it for any sort of technical writing.

Likes yucheng and dextercioby
Dr.D said:
If you want to use LaTeX but do not want to spend the time to learn it, I suggest either Scientific WorkPlace or Scientific Notebook, both available through Mackichan.com. I have used SWP for about 35 years and would not be without it for any sort of technical writing.

fyi​

MacKichan Software, Inc. has gone out of business​

Sales have ceased for Scientific WorkPlace, Scientific Word, and Scientific Notebook

MacKichan Software, Inc., after providing word processing software for those who speak the language of mathematics for forty years (under several names), closed its doors on June 30, 2021. This marks the end of sales and support for the MacKichan Software products.

All owners of Scientific WorkPlace, Scientific Word, or Scientific Notebook should have a serial number that was included in their purchase. This number is also included in the license file for your installation as the last line in the file. If you need to install your software on a new or different computer, you will need to re-activate the software on that computer using that serial number. The software can be activated as before, using the Help/Activate menu item. This contacts the MacKichan Software licensing server, which we will keep running for at least two years.

Sites with permanent site licenses will, of course, be free to use Scientific WorkPlace, Scientific Word, and/or Scientific Notebook as long as they like. Those sites that have paid for maintenance with home-use satellite licenses can continue, but will be unable to create new satellite licenses after their maintenance agreement expires.

We expect to make Scientific Word an open source product eventually. Since both Scientific WorkPlace and Scientific Notebook contain the proprietary computer algebra system MuPAD, they cannot be made open source. When the open source project for Scientific Word is established, an announcement will be made here.

We hope to make version 5.5 of Scientific Word available in the future. It currently contains several components that are licensed and not owned by MacKichan Software. These components need to be removed, and our intention is then to make Scientific Word version 5.5 open source.

Barry MacKichan
President
MacKichan Software, Inc.

July 1, 2021

• Sad
Likes dextercioby
hutchphd said:
MacKichan Software, Inc. has gone out of business
How sad. I wrote my BS thesis using T3.

I'm really dismayed to learn about the demise of Mackichan. I've used Scientific Word long before Scientific WorkPlace existed, and I've always been very pleased with the results. It has also helped me professionally.

Some years ago, I took a position as the "in-house consultant" at a small aerospace manufacturer. I was writing all sorts of tech memos on a daily basis, always using SWP. It was not long before word got back to me that many of the engineers were simply in awe: "Have you seen his work? Wow!" They were accustomed to hand-written calculations with very little verbiage, but easily able to provide a much better communication.

Mackichan always provided really good support which I greatly appreciated.

Chris Patterson said:
I would like to write a blog
In this case none of the suggestions above will work - you need blogging software or a service that incorporates a ## \LaTeX ## math renderer, however you will have to rewrite everything: a certain amount of rewriting would be needed anyway because the way the WWW works means that Word documents don't transfer well without manual reformatting.

Fortunately the most popular blogging service, wordpress.com, and the open source software that runs it, wordpress.org, support a number of different ## \LaTeX ## math renderers.

Likes sysprog

1. How can I easily format and post my math equations?

There are a few different ways you can format and post your math equations. One option is to use a math equation editor, such as LaTeX or MathType, to create your equations and then upload them as images. Another option is to use a website or app that supports creating and posting equations, such as Desmos or MathJax. You can also use HTML codes to format your equations, but this may require some knowledge of coding.

2. Is there a specific platform or program that is best for posting math equations?

There is no one "best" platform or program for posting math equations as it ultimately depends on personal preference and comfort with different tools. However, some popular options include Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and MathType for creating and formatting equations, and websites like WordPress, Tumblr, and Medium for sharing them online.

3. How can I make my math equations accessible to all readers?

To make your math equations accessible to all readers, it is important to use a combination of text and images. This means including alt text for any images of equations, using descriptive captions or labels, and providing a text description of the equation in addition to the image. It is also important to use a consistent and clear formatting style, and to provide explanations or context for any complex equations.

4. Are there any resources or tutorials available for posting math equations?

Yes, there are many resources and tutorials available online for posting math equations. Some websites, such as MathJax and Desmos, offer tutorials and guides for using their platforms. You can also find step-by-step guides and video tutorials on websites like YouTube, as well as forums and communities where you can ask for help or advice from other users.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy of my math equations when posting them online?

To ensure the accuracy of your math equations when posting them online, it is important to double check all calculations and symbols before publishing. It can also be helpful to have someone else review your equations for any errors or typos. Additionally, providing sources or references for your equations can help to verify their accuracy and credibility.