Retract of a connected space is connected

• I
  • Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: A deformation retracts a space into a curve, whereas a retraction retracts a space into itself).My bad, I meant deformation retract. (A deformation retracts a space into a curve, whereas a retraction retracts a space into itself).
PsychonautQQ
let r: X-->A be a retraction. This means that r*i = Id_A, where * is composition of maps and i is the inclusion map from A--->X.

How to show that the retract of a connected space is also connected? I was trying to proceed by contradiction.

Suppose A is not connected, then A = Union(M,N) where M and N are open in A and Intersection(M,N) = empty.

Then i used the inclusion map on A, ie:
i: A---> X
= i: Union(M,N) --> X

Where M = Intersection(A,R) for R open in X and N=Intersection(A,S) for S open in X, so:

= i: Union(intersection(A,R),Intersection(A,S)) --- > X

Perhaps I can show that since this is an embedding, that using the image of i in X I can find a separation of X. I don't know if A is open or closed in X though, which might be useful information.

I'm sure there is a much easier way to do this.

Thanks PF!

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:
I'm sure there is a much easier way to do this.
There is :biggrin:
(At least I think so)

Start as you started your proof, with ##A=M\cup N## and ##N,M## open in ##A##. We then use the crucial property of a retraction that you omitted to mention, which is that it is continuous. What does that enable us to say about ##r^{-1}(M)## and ##r^{-1}(N)## that would contradict the assumption that ##X## is connected?

We didn't need to use the inclusion map at all, so the result must be true for any continuous map from a connected space to a subspace of itself.

Likes PsychonautQQ
andrewkirk said:
There is :biggrin:
(At least I think so)

Start as you started your proof, with ##A=M\cup N## and ##N,M## open in ##A##. We then use the crucial property of a retraction that you omitted to mention, which is that it is continuous. What does that enable us to say about ##r^{-1}(M)## and ##r^{-1}(N)## that would contradict the assumption that ##X## is connected?

We didn't need to use the inclusion map at all, so the result must be true for any continuous map from a connected space to a subspace of itself.

##r^{-1}(M)## and ##r^{-1}(N)## will be open in X. And since ##r## surjects ##X## onto ##A##, it must be that union of these two pre-images cover all of X. I'm assuming that the intersection of these images is going to also be disjoint since the map is continuous?

PsychonautQQ said:
I'm assuming that the intersection of these images is going to also be disjoint since the map is continuous?
We do not need continuity for that. It follows from the fact that r is a function and that M, N are disjoint (which latter I omitted to state above, but is implied by M, N being a separation of A).

Likes PsychonautQQ
If you want the big machinery, then a retraction is a homotopy equivalence, and homotopy equivalence preserves connectedness ( since, e.g., it preserves homology)

Likes PsychonautQQ
WWGD said:
If you want the big machinery, then a retraction is a homotopy equivalence, and homotopy equivalence preserves connectedness ( since, e.g., it preserves homology)

A retraction is not necessarily a homotopy equivalence. Any nonempty space retracts onto a point.

Likes PsychonautQQ
Infrared said:
A retraction is not necessarily a homotopy equivalence. Any nonempty space retracts onto a point.
My bad, I meant deformation retract.

Likes PsychonautQQ

What is a retract of a connected space?

A retract of a connected space is a subset of a connected space that is also itself a connected space.

Why is the retract of a connected space important?

The concept of a retract of a connected space is important in topology and algebraic topology. It helps us understand the structure of connected spaces and their subspaces.

Can a retract of a connected space be disconnected?

No, a retract of a connected space must be connected. This is because a retract is a subspace of the original space, and the connectedness of the original space is inherited by its subspaces.

How can we prove that a retract of a connected space is connected?

To prove that a retract of a connected space is connected, we can use the definition of a retract and show that the subset satisfies the definition of connectedness. This can include showing that the subset is path-connected or that it has no non-trivial clopen sets.

Are there any real-life applications of the retract of a connected space?

The concept of a retract of a connected space has applications in fields such as computer science, where it is used in the study of network connectivity and graph theory. It also has applications in physics and engineering, where it can be used to model and analyze the behavior of complex systems.