REU Application Question: To Attach or Not? Feedback Needed!

In summary, the conversation revolves around whether to include a resume with an REU application. The person is unsure if it is recommended or not, and has tried to contact a representative for clarification but has not received a response. They are concerned about making their application as perfect as possible, but also do not want to come across as not following instructions. One reference suggests including a resume, while the other does not find them useful.
P115007
Hi everybody, good to be here, but cutting to the chase I have a question that I would love to get some feedback on:

I have an REU application 99% done, all I need to do is submit it, but I am not sure about one thing. The application requests for a "cover letter describing my interests in the program"

I have my one page statement typed out formatted etc, but I am debating whether or not I should attach my resume to my cover letter or not. Nothing on the application site specifies whether or not it is suggested or discouraged to include it.

I have tried to email a representative, but have not heard anything back in the past few days. The application is for my top choice program so I want the application to be as perfect as possible before submission, but at the same time the longer I wait the less my chances of being accepted become.

So should I include my resume as a second page to my cover letter OR just leave the one page cover letter?

I asked my references and one said that it wouldn't hurt to include my resume, but the other said that he doesn't find them useful when accepting people to our own REU program and that I may come off as not following instructions by attaching a resume when it isn't specifically asked for.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd add it. I always find myself wanting more info on applicants.

1. What is an REU application?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) application is a form that students fill out to apply for a summer research program funded by the National Science Foundation. These programs provide undergraduate students with the opportunity to gain research experience in their field of study.

2. How do I find REU programs to apply to?

There are several ways to find REU programs to apply to. You can search the NSF website for a list of current programs, talk to your professors or academic advisor for recommendations, or search for programs at universities that have research areas that interest you.

3. What are the requirements for an REU application?

The requirements for an REU application may vary depending on the program, but generally, applicants must be undergraduate students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, have a strong academic record, and have an interest in pursuing research in a specific field.

4. How do I make my REU application stand out?

To make your REU application stand out, you should highlight any relevant research experience, coursework, or skills that you have. You should also tailor your application to the specific program you are applying to and make sure to follow all instructions and submit all required materials.

5. When is the deadline to submit an REU application?

The deadline to submit an REU application varies depending on the program, but most deadlines fall between late December and early March. It is important to check the specific program's website for the exact deadline and make sure to submit your application before the deadline to be considered for the program.