1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU meet-ups; Post where you are going and meet your peers!

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    REU/summer program meet-ups; Post where you are going and meet your peers!

I just wanted to make a place where all of us lucky devils who've been accepted to REU's (any subject) can post where we are going and possibly meet some other students going to the same program. I also wanted to make this for ALL REU's or summer programs so we can meet students in different programs but will still be at the same uni.
    I'll start:

I will be attending Penn State physics/materials program. I go to school in Kansas currently. Projects have not been determined, but I'm hoping to work in AMO physics.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2
    Not exactly an REU, but I received a DOE internship at Argonne. Anyone else going there?

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    My first post!

I'll be going to Penn State electrical engineering program. I've seen that most of people that post here are physics/math reu's. any engineers?

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4
    Congrats! I've actually heard great things about the electrical engineering program there. The program I am doing is also engineering. It's "materials" so everything from engineering to chem to math... Do you know where you'll be living yet?

6. Mar 27, 2012 #5
    I got into Wisconsin stout, for a project on invariants of complex hypersurfaces. I'm thrilled about the project, but not too excited about leaving Miami for Wisconsin lol. Anyone else got into Stout?

7. Mar 27, 2012 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Look at the bright side... they wear hunks of rubber-foam cheese on their heads at football games, so they must have a sense of humor. :smile:

8. Mar 27, 2012 #7
    Thanks! I'm not sure where I'll be living.. Haven't received official packet yet. On the other hand, the official website says that students will live in "The Nittany Apartments" owned by the University. Is that where you will be living for the program as well? oh BTW I'm from Philly.

9. Mar 27, 2012 #8
    Most likely we'll be staying in those as well. It's not official yet but they said they expect to "provide housing in the form of 4 bedroom apartments with 4 students per apartment" which means Nittany from what I've seen. I've heard they're pretty nice. I'm really excited about State College. I go to a small teaching university NOT in a college town.

10. Mar 27, 2012 #9
    Got into the Indiana REU program for physics, doing work on SUSY QM. Should be interesting and it seems like Indiana has multiple reu programs which will be cool.

11. Mar 27, 2012 #10
    I'm going to Idaho State for nuclear physics.

12. Mar 27, 2012 #11
    Yeah, it looks like quite a few universities house all their REU's in the same building. It's probably kind of nice so you have more than 12 people you can talk to.

13. Mar 27, 2012 #12
    Not an REU but I'm going to the PCMI summer school on geometric group theory

14. Mar 28, 2012 #13
    SLAC! Who is going to be in California?

15. Mar 29, 2012 #14
    I will be attending the math REU at LSU. I'm looking forward to meeting any others who are going. Also, I did the UNC-Asheville REU last summer, so I could answer questions that any of this year's participants might have.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  16. Mar 29, 2012 #15

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hum... which one? SULI? And in which area?

Zz.

17. Mar 29, 2012 #16
    I'll be at LSU for the CCT REU.

18. Mar 29, 2012 #17
    It is through CCI, sir (essentially SULI, but open to community college students). I chose a project in the physics division (based on what I read of the project, I believe it falls under accelerator physics).

19. Mar 29, 2012 #18
    I don't know how much crossover the different REUs have at LSU, but I imagine we'll all at least be staying in the same apartments on campus.

See you there!

20. Mar 30, 2012 #19

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The "Physics Division" is more accurately known as the "Nuclear Physics Division", since that is the main thrust that it focuses on, especially with the ATLAS facility on site (not to be confused with the ATLAS detector at the LHC).

Note that if you are interested in accelerator physics, there is also the Lee Teng internship program jointly run by Fermilab/Argonne.

Zz.

21. Mar 31, 2012 #20
    Re: REU/summer program meet-ups; Post where you are going and meet your peers!

I'm actually going to Kansas (State University) for my REU.
    I'm currently studying abroad in London, and I've met several Penn State kids. They all love it there.

Projects not determined yet, but I want to do something w/ nuclear/accelerator physics, so I hope that there will be a project relatable to that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook