Reversible processes and carnot cycle

In summary, the universe can't be restored to exactly its former condition. Heat transfer is assumed to occur without a gradient and from infinitely large thermal reservoirs. Although this arrangement is impossible in practice, it is useful to consider in theory because it enables a heat engine with maximum possible efficiency.
ahmedbadr
i want to ask why heat transfer is considered ti be an irreversibility and why in carnot carnot cycle heat addititon is at constant temperature to make this process reversible

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any smoothing of a gradient (in temperature, charge, matter, etc.) is thermodynamically irreversible because entropy increases; the universe can't be restored to exactly its former condition. In a Carnot cycle, heat transfer is assumed to occur without a gradient and from infinitely large thermal reservoirs. Although this arrangement is impossible in practice, it is useful to consider in theory because it enables a heat engine with maximum possible efficiency. Does this answer your question?

do u mean that any mprocess cuases an increase in entropy is an irreversible process?is it general rule?
thx for ur reply

Yes, any process that involves an increase in total entropy is irreversible.

ok can u tell me a website or textbook that explains this relation between entrop and irreversibilty?because in carnot syscle in the heat addition process there is increase in the entropy of system however it is cosidered to be reversible process .
thx

Zemansky's Heat and Thermodynamics is pretty good. If you're near a university library, browse for immediately readable thermodynamics books (actually flip through the selection and think about which ones you'd most enjoy reading) and compare their treatment. I learn best by scanning different books on a subject and seeing what they all mention and how it's expressed in different ways. Perhaps this approach works for you too.

Whenever flow occurs in response to a gradient, entropy is not just transferred but also created. Consider heat transfer between two bodies. If we assume one is very large (this is the reservoir), then the energy removed won't affect its temperature. If we also assume the temperature difference is very small, then entropy creation is minimal. Take these assumptions to their extreme and we have the Carnot cycle, where no entropy is created at all. There is still entropy transfer: the energy associated with heat transfer carries its own entropy. But the transfer is perfectly efficient, and what's lost by the hot reservoir is exactly gained by the engine. Later, when sending energy to the cold reservoir, what's lost by the system is exactly gained by the cold reservoir.

i laso ve another question i can understand the concept of irreversibility that there is energy dissipated in the process but i can uget that just for friction burt for other reasons of irreversibilities for example heat transfer i can't get whre is the energy dissipated here.thx

My advice is to link irreversibility in your mind not with "energy dissipation" but with "flow in response to a gradient that tends to erase that gradient." There are a couple advantages. First, gradient-induced flow is easy to quantify, by taking the dot product of the flow vector (in this case, heat flow and direction) with the mathematical gradient of the potential (in this case, the temperature). This dot product is actually proportional to the rate of entropy increase. Second, as you've pointed out, it's not easy to visualize "energy dissipation" when a hot object heats a cold object. It's an amorphous term (how is energy dissipated here?). But the gradient-induced flow view encompasses both friction (matter deforms in response to stress gradients, energy moves in response to temperature gradients) and simple heating/cooling. Swapping these descriptions in my mind was a key part of moving from beginner to advanced thermo.

Mapes said:
My advice is to link irreversibility in your mind not with "energy dissipation" but with "flow in response to a gradient that tends to erase that gradient." There are a couple advantages. First, gradient-induced flow is easy to quantify, by taking the dot product of the flow vector (in this case, heat flow and direction) with the mathematical gradient of the potential (in this case, the temperature). This dot product is actually proportional to the rate of entropy increase. Second, as you've pointed out, it's not easy to visualize "energy dissipation" when a hot object heats a cold object. It's an amorphous term (how is energy dissipated here?). But the gradient-induced flow view encompasses both friction (matter deforms in response to stress gradients, energy moves in response to temperature gradients) and simple heating/cooling. Swapping these descriptions in my mind was a key part of moving from beginner to advanced thermo.

nice description mapes:smile:

1. What is a reversible process?

A reversible process is a thermodynamic process that can be reversed by infinitesimal changes to the system, leaving no change in the surroundings. This means that the system can return to its original state without leaving any trace of the previous process.

2. What is the Carnot cycle?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that is used as a benchmark to compare the efficiency of real-life heat engines. It consists of four reversible processes: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

3. How is efficiency defined in the Carnot cycle?

The efficiency of the Carnot cycle is defined as the ratio of the work output to the heat input. This means that it measures how much of the energy input is converted into useful work, with the rest being dissipated as waste heat.

4. What is the significance of reversible processes in thermodynamics?

Reversible processes are important in thermodynamics because they represent the ideal conditions for energy conversion. They serve as a benchmark for the maximum efficiency that can be achieved by real-life processes, and allow for the comparison and analysis of different systems.

5. Can a real-life process ever be truly reversible?

No, it is not possible for a real-life process to be truly reversible. This is because all real-life processes involve some degree of irreversibility, such as heat transfer, friction, and other forms of energy dissipation. However, reversible processes serve as a useful theoretical tool for understanding and analyzing real-life systems.