Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Revisiting an old Math Problem

1. Aug 27, 2012 #1
    Would someone check the attached file? It's simple high school algebra.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2012 #2

I just read the very first few lines, as it seems to be one more simple ""proof"" of Fermat's last Theorem or something of

the kind. The language used is sloppy, and where it begins with that nonsense of
    [tex]\text{if}\,\,A+B=C+D\,\,\text{and}\,\,A=C\,\,,\, \text{then} \,\,B=D[/tex]
    which is so boringly obvious that it shouldn't even appear in a paper trying to prove "a very important theorem of mathematics"

DonAntonio

4. Aug 27, 2012 #3
    Are you the only member of this forum? You're such a bully...

5. Aug 27, 2012 #4

"Bully"? Were you expecting me, or anyone else, to write your opinion on this, or you'd rather have my own opinion?

Well, perhaps other members of the forum have different opinions. Good luck with that.

DonAntonio

6. Aug 27, 2012 #5

chiro

Science Advisor

DonAntonio: I can't find where he says what you say he says. Can you please point out the page and the phrase that was used?

7. Aug 27, 2012 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

Hi manuelsmarin and welcome to the forums.

Can you please explain in more detail step [8] of the general proof for n > 2? I get all the identities including step 9 used for later steps (i.e. 10 and greater) but not that one. What assumptions have you made?

8. Aug 27, 2012 #7

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Page 2, Test For Equality Theorem

9. Aug 27, 2012 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Personal theories are not allowed in this forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook