Reviving a miniature rose bush near Philadelphia after winter dormancy

  • Thread starter Thread starter Q_Goest
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Messages
3,014
Reaction score
42
Late last year I bought a miniature rose bush for the wife. Tiny yellow flowers with roots in a pot with dirt. Looked a bit like this one:
http://www.bloomsdirect.com/images/TF132_01_WH.jpg

After a few weeks it seemed to die. All the leaves turned brown and dropped. Being the consummate procrastinator, the dirt filled pot with brown bush was left in the garage all winter to fend for itself.

Over the weekend I noticed something strange. Green leaves had sprung from every branch. Loads of them! This thing wasn’t dead, it was pining for the outdoors. Now I’ve got to transplant it, so I need help!

When and where? We live near Philadelphia, it’s still cold and below freezing at night. Should it go outside now? Keep it in the pot? Transplant when? Where? What kind of light do these things like, direct sun all day or shade? I have pine trees and maples, do you think it prefers one over the other? Anyone out there with a green thumb? Mine’s usually purple if not black and blue…
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Maximum light for sure. I f you really want it to live put it in a bigger pot, get it in the sun at day time and back in the garage at night time. Plant it in the sunniest spot (south east) you have available when the night frost danger is gone sometimes in may/june
 
Thanks Andre.. I'd stuck it outside but will bring it back in for now. We've got lots of sun, so I'm sure the lil' tike should find some bit of ground to its liking.

Glad these things can't feel pain.
 
A larger pot{only one inch larger} with some well draining potting soil should do the trick. Get some rose fertilizer, cause I bet its hungry after its time in the garage. When you water it, set it in a pan of water, to avoid getting the leafs wet. And let it dry out quite a bit in between waterings. Potted roses really hate when their feet stay wet.
 
Thanks hypatia, I'll do that. Can this bush get planted outdoors? Will it survive a winter and come back in the spring? Or does it need too stay inside?
 
It can be planted outdoors, if you give it some insulation help in the winter. Like mounding it with leafs, or a good wrap of burlap.
 
Thanks hypatia. That surpises me. I'd have thought it could be planted outdoors without any problem. Looks like it'll have to stay in a pot then!

Thanks again.