Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Revolutionary Physics experiments that changed the world

1. Feb 25, 2017 #1
    I am student of bsc.(hons.)physics..i need to discuss any of the experiment that changed the world..i have tried but i need some more suggestions..some of the experiments i found revolutionary are listed below..
    1. henery cavendish weighing the earth
    2. young's double slit experiment
    3.Rutherford's work on atoms
    4.michelson morley experiment
    5.Faraday's work in electromagnetism
    6.Archimedes discovery of upthrust
    please suggest more and help me to choose one most revolutionary experiment...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Röntgen's discovery of x-rays
    Tesla's decision for AC
    Magellan-Elcano expedition to demonstrate the spherical earth
    Copernicus' astronomy
    Bell's and Ries' discovery of telephony

4. Feb 25, 2017 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Choose that one!

5. Feb 25, 2017 #4
    I vote for Young's double-slit experiment. After two hundred years we're still discussing the results.

6. Feb 25, 2017 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Primitive mans experiments with heated mixtures of natural minerals which led to the development of metal production and much of chemistry .

Early experiments leading to invention of the steam engine and to development of the science of thermodynamics .

Without these two there would be no modern world as we know it .

7. Feb 25, 2017 #6

Nugatory

Much depends on what we mean by "changed the world". Some experiments have provided enormously important insights into how the world works yet haven't changed much of anything that that happens around us; I'd put observations of violations of Bell's inequality in that category. Some other far less surprising results have changed the world in much bigger ways; the discovery of nuclear fission comes to mind.

If I had to choose the scientific discovery that made for the most change I'd have to go for Copernican planetary motion, which set off a centuries-long, often violent, and not yet settled conflict between two fundamentally different organizing principles for human society.

8. Feb 25, 2017 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Discovery of atomic fission had political implications far beyond what has been proposed so far.

9. Feb 26, 2017 #8
    Don't know who, where, or when, but at some point, someone had to conduct an experiment to confirm the feasibility of transferring an idea from one person to another via artificial graphical representation. This would have been the genesis of writing.

10. Feb 27, 2017 #9
    Trinity test

11. Feb 27, 2017 #10

berkeman

You beat me to it! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted