Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rich-Kids Loophole Means More Time on SAT

1. Mar 30, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is so wrong. :grumpy: :devil:

"March 30, 2006 — When Ali Hellberg, 19, was in prep school, she said several of her classmates obtained notes from psychologists diagnosing them with learning disabilities, even though they didn't have any learning problems.

They faked learning disabilities to get extra time to take the Scholastic Aptitude Test, or SAT, in the hopes of getting a higher score, she said."

"Jay Brody, the tutor, said that extra time is as good as adding a couple hundred points to a student's score."

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=1787712&page=1

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Rich kids? They had psychos... i mean psychologists at my school and we were pretty friggen poor. I think there should be a "blame rich people" syndrome that should be studied. Sounds to me like some kids haven't gotten spanked enough.

4. Mar 30, 2006 #3

Evo

I think the parents need to be spanked on this one.

So, how much extra time did you get? :biggrin: <joking>

5. Mar 30, 2006 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I have a serious health disorder! Pengwutitis is a serious mental condition jerk!

6. Mar 30, 2006 #5
    What happened to the good ole days where the rich kids just got into good schools via their parents connections?

7. Mar 30, 2006 #6

Evo

runs into thread <sprays lysol> runs out :surprised

8. Mar 30, 2006 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What is this society coming to :cry:

9. Mar 30, 2006 #8
    Let's not get into how its spread....

10. Mar 30, 2006 #9

Evo

Now that's the right way to do it. At least everyone knows how you got in. How do you think my ex got into an Ivy League school so he could play bleets and party for 4 years?

11. Mar 30, 2006 #10

Evo

It's moldy bread (ergot) I think someone hasn't been washing his flippers...

12. Mar 30, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The good thing about physics is that i don't think you can parent your way through grad school....

i wonder if you can get some bs cheating crap or with parents to get into grad schools actually....

13. Mar 30, 2006 #12
    Let me guess that "rich" student in princeton is now failing.

14. Mar 30, 2006 #13
    Whatever happened to being true unto yourself?

Despite everything, including other individuals and what they do and not do, I knew that being true to me and my intent to do right and be right would not be hindered by anything.

The fact that thousands of individuals lied or cheated or got "connected" into a higher branch of learning or into a 'well-paid' position had nothing to do with me thoroughly learning and mastering the said subject.

The difference is that now I can teach those that were my peers, and some of those that were my peers still need to be taught the said subject and or, what it is to be right.

15. Mar 30, 2006 #14

Mk

Oh my god, I thought I was the only one who thought of that.

16. Mar 30, 2006 #15
    Au contraire -- his parents pay for lots of tutors.

17. Mar 30, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Thankfully, there is no tutors for GRE's and such..... if there is a God....

18. Mar 30, 2006 #17
    Wait a tutor for a "rich" person:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    Everone knows that tutors for "rich" kids are just people who pretend to know the stuff so they can get money.

19. Mar 31, 2006 #18

Mk

What? I thought I was the only one who figured that out and does it.

20. Mar 31, 2006 #19
    dont blame the kid for taking advantage of the system, blame the system for being faulty

21. Mar 31, 2006 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

As with all things in life, it's all the psychologists fault

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?