Richard Feynman <3 on 'thinking'.

In summary, Feynman was an ordinary person who achieved great things in physics due to his early exposure to electronics, formal education in physics, strong visual imagination, dedication to math, and understanding of parsimony. He continues to influence and inspire others in the field even though he passed away over 20 years ago.
Synapse
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Woops, just realized this thread has been moved :P In my mind 'feynmans a quantum guy so i'll stick this in the quantum section.' Silly me.

So anyway, hmm...does this forum have a section where 'scientists' are discussed. Maybe that will be a good place to put it.

I'm sure some people do like to discuss the bio of Einstein, Penrose, Maxwell...and all those.

The physics subforums, if you look at the existing topics in there, should contain only topics with actual physics content. All other discussion relating to ABOUT physics, physicists, history, sociology, philosophy, etc. do not being in those forums. Your thread has been moved to the General Discussion forum because this is where topics like that belong.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The physics subforums, if you look at the existing topics in there, should contain only topics with actual physics content. All other discussion relating to ABOUT physics, physicists, history, sociology, philosophy, etc. do not being in those forums. Your thread has been moved to the General Discussion forum because this is where topics like that belong.

Zz.

Sure. I havn't looked around much.

Synapse said:
At the beginning...WOW what a huge boost in confidence!

"You ask me if an ordinary person studying very hard would get to be able to imagine these things as I imgaine them? Of Course! I was an ordinary person who studied hard."

^.^

<3 I am in loveeeee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr8sVailoLw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHx00XG6-jU&feature=related

Hmm...you can't embed youtube videos on these forums?

Feynman had these things going for him: There was a lot of electronics in his house, so he knew the basics, and hands-on, from a young age.

He studied physics formally. He wasn't just reading his day's equivalent of New Scientist, or "A Brief History of Time", or making Tesla coils, or sticking gum-drops in the microwave, etc.

He had a good visual imagination.

He was good at math, and really worked at it.

He understood the fundamentals of parsimony. He could have had all the things above, and an IQ of 160, and still wound up a crank-theorist.

I think those were the essential (=must all be present) components of Feynman's achievements.

I first discovered Feynman around the beginning of last year. I had heard his name thrown around in places (Feynman diagrams, Parton model, etc.), but I began watching his lectures, and his interviews more and more and I was glad that I did. He definitely influenced my relationship with physics in a positive way. I wanted to meet him, but then I learned that he died over 20 years ago...

1. Who is Richard Feynman?

Richard Feynman was an American theoretical physicist, best known for his work in quantum mechanics and particle physics. He was also a renowned teacher, author, and public speaker.

2. What are some of Richard Feynman's contributions to science?

Richard Feynman made significant contributions to various fields of science, including quantum electrodynamics, superfluidity, and quantum computing. He also played a key role in the development of the atomic bomb during World War II.

3. Why is Richard Feynman considered a great thinker?

Richard Feynman's unique approach to problem-solving and his ability to think outside the box made him a great thinker. He was also known for his curiosity, creativity, and persistence in understanding complex concepts.

4. What is the Feynman Technique?

The Feynman Technique is a method of learning and understanding complex topics developed by Richard Feynman. It involves breaking down a concept into simple terms and explaining it in a way that anyone can understand. This technique helps in improving one's understanding and retention of information.

5. How can I apply Richard Feynman's ideas on thinking in my daily life?

Richard Feynman's ideas on thinking can be applied in various aspects of life, such as problem-solving, decision-making, and learning. Some ways to incorporate his ideas include practicing curiosity and asking questions, challenging assumptions, and approaching problems from different perspectives.