Rigorous treatments of double-slit , quantum eraser, etc.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Messages
3,766
Reaction score
2,215
From a recent double-slit thread:

ZapperZ said:
Check the "[URL
Marcella paper[/URL] that I've cited numerous times to see how
you derive single, double, and multiple slits pattern using QM
without invoking classical wave optics.

In fact, one can even extend this approach into 2D as well without invoking
classical optics. See Frank Rioux treatment of
http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~frioux/diffraction/ej33n1.pdf" .

Thank you for mentioning those papers! (Probably, I didn't notice the earlier
mentions because I hardly ever read the endless "double-slit" threads. :-)

The Fourier transform method occurred to me a while back as possibly
a better way of deriving this stuff (less handwaving and less reliance
on interpretations), but I never found time to work it out fully. It's
good that Marcella has done this.

BTW, are there any treatments of the quantum eraser that extend
such techniques to that setup?

Cheers.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
@strangerep did you find any more insight on this topic?
I don't think it's needed. You might as well this thread, since Zz already mentioned the Marcella and Rioux papers elsewhere.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt