Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News RIP John Glenn

1. Dec 8, 2016 #1

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

:sorry:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2016 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had just heard this morning that he was ill. Had no idea just how ill. :oldcry::oldcry::oldcry:

4. Dec 8, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Godspeed , John Glenn

5. Dec 8, 2016 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

R.I.P.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-astronaut-us-sen-john-glenn-ohio-died-203210458.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  6. Dec 8, 2016 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

The only good thing about 2016 is that it is going to end soon.

7. Dec 8, 2016 #6

Borg

Gold Member

I heard yesteday that he had been in the hospital for a week. Very sorry to see one of the great ones go.
    I recently saw a Last Week Tonight episode that ended with several minutes people saying of F... 2016. My sentiments exactly.

8. Dec 9, 2016 #7

BillTre

Science Advisor

Many years ago I saw a cartoon about John Glenn.
    It was after he went into space a second time (in 1998, at the age of 77).
    An old couple in a car,
    wife is complaining about how her husband should be doing something now that he is retired, like John Glenn.
    His response was "Curse you John Glenn".

9. Dec 10, 2016 #8

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It may be beyond the comprehension of people born in more recent times but the space race in the 1950/60 period had the whole world enthralled .

The usually excellent tv transmissions covering the different missions had whole families on the edge of their seats gripped with excitement .

The space race coincided roughly in time with a period of rapid technological development in many other fields as well .

Ordinary people both young and old came to be interested and knowledgeable about a great deal about space technology and science in general .

The space race probably encouraged a whole generation of school children to become engineers and scientists .

10. Dec 11, 2016 #9

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember at age 10 my father awaking and telling me of the Soviet Union's successfully launch of Sputnik I; then my world became more enthralled.

11. Dec 11, 2016 #10
    What a legend!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted