RMS x-component of velocity in argon gas cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
dalson
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Root Mean Square Speed... HELP!

A 11.0 cm-diameter, 24.0 cm-long cylinder contains 1.80×1022 atoms of argon at a temperature of 52.0 C. What is (Vx)rms, the rms value of the x-component of velocity? What is the rate at which atoms collide with one end of the cylinder? Determine the pressure in the cylinder using the results of kinetic theory. Determine the pressure in the cylinder using the ideal-gas law.

I have found Vrms, which is equal to 450 m/s. I do not know how to translate that into x component without knowing any of the other direction velocities.
Any help please?? I am so lost!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Thank you, I've managed to figure out everything except the rate at which the atoms collide with one end of the cylinder. I thought it might have something to do with the (Vx)rms, but the numbers don't make any sense to me. Any hints on this part of the question?