Roach killer powder works on humans, too

In summary, boric acid is commonly used as a roach killer but has other uses such as controlling fungi and controlling uranium fission in nuclear plants. It is also considered to be relatively non-toxic, although ingestion of large quantities can be fatal. The exact lethal dose for humans is uncertain, but it is estimated to be between 5 to 20 grams per kilogram of body weight.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
AFAIK, boric acid is most commonly sold as a roach killer, although apparently it has many other more benign uses. I happen to know that it works pretty well on common fungi that appear around sweaty human joints.

Wikipedia says it's used to control uranium fission in nuclear plants.

Has anyone used it as a fire repellent?

wikipedia writes: "boric acid is poisonous if taken internally or inhaled in large quantities. However, it is generally considered to be not much more toxic than table salt."

So far so good...

But then, in the same paragraph, wikipedia says: "5 to 20 g/kg has produced death in adult humans."

How exactly do they know that, any guesses?

[X-files theme playing in the background...]

Physics news on Phys.org
"But then, in the same paragraph, wikipedia says: "5 to 20 g/kg has produced death in adult humans."

well, it quite a bit of boric acid, figuring 50 to 100 kg for the weight of a person

Either the wiki article is mistaken and is reporting the predicted lethal dose for humans (perhaps an extrapolation from other toxicity data from lower dose poisonings, and/or from animal toxicology studies), or someone decided to commit suicide by eating a whole box of the stuff.

yeah---or, some one thinking in an altered state of mind---'I'll try any white powder'

1. How does roach killer powder work on humans?

Roach killer powder contains a toxic ingredient called boric acid, which is also harmful to humans. When ingested, boric acid can disrupt the nervous system and cause severe symptoms.

2. Can roach killer powder be used as a substitute for medicine?

No, roach killer powder is not safe for human consumption and should never be used as a substitute for medicine. It can cause serious health problems and should only be used for its intended purpose - to kill roaches.

3. What are the risks of using roach killer powder on humans?

The risks of using roach killer powder on humans include ingestion, inhalation, and skin contact. Boric acid can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and other serious symptoms if ingested. Inhaling the powder can also irritate the respiratory system, and contact with the skin can cause irritation or chemical burns.

4. Can roach killer powder be harmful to pets?

Yes, roach killer powder can be harmful to pets if ingested or inhaled. It is important to keep pets away from areas where the powder has been applied and to thoroughly clean any surfaces or objects that may have come into contact with the powder.

5. How can I protect myself and my family from roach killer powder?

To protect yourself and your family from roach killer powder, it is important to read and follow the instructions carefully. Wear protective gear, such as gloves and a mask, when handling the powder. Keep children and pets away from areas where it has been applied and make sure to clean any surfaces thoroughly before allowing them to come into contact with them.