Role of quantum mechanics in cosmology

In summary, the conversation discusses the deterministic nature of the universe according to Laplace and the uncertainty principle of Heisenberg. It is mentioned that while we can predict the position and velocity of large objects, uncertainty still exists on a quantum scale. The conversation also touches on the use of quantum mechanics in cosmology and the limitations of predicting the future due to chaotic unpredictability and quantum uncertainty. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that while the universe may be deterministic at a fundamental level, our observations and predictions are not always accurate.
pvk21
According to laplace,universe is totally deterministic.(one can tell position of object future position of object if he knows current position and velocity)but Heisenbergs's tells us that there is always uncertainty in position of particle and velocity.but Heisenberg's uncertainty only applies to small particles.well we can predict position and velocity of large object.so we can still say that universe is deterministic.but it isn't.why is that?

Space news on Phys.org
I think what you are asking is, why is it that if things are not predictable on a quantum scale, then what makes them predictable in large scales?
Roughly I would say that this is because at large scales quantum effects tend to cancel out statistically, so we can make generalised statements that will always be true without having to take the uncertainty principle into account.

Well ok that's the case.so can we predict the future of universe?

Well obviously we can't ever know in practice the exact state of everything on a macroscopic scale.
If we could, then we should be able to make a reasonable forecast of what will happen on a macroscopic scale, (if the theories applied are true).
We should be able to draw a conclusion while still be no wiser concerning the position of a particular electron.

The computer required to make this calculation would probably need to be bigger than the universe though ;)

Last edited:
So we will be able to predict the future.if we have computer powerful enough.well in the book I was reading,there was one statement that we can't predict future due to uncertainty principle.that what my point is 'can we predict the future if we have all required resources or we can't because of uncertainty in position and velocity'

pvk21 said:
Well ok that's the case.so can we predict the future of universe?

To some degree of accuracy, based on the time and size scales involved in our predictions, sure. For example, we can be sure that the Andromeda galaxy is going to approach the Milky Way over the next few billion years, but we can't accurately predict where any individual star may end up. (More due to difficulties doing the staggeringly huge amount of calculations needed than any quantum uncertainty) If you want to talk about where an individual proton in the Sun's stellar wind is, then you may run into quantum uncertainty.

pvk21 said:
So we will be able to predict the future.if we have computer powerful enough.well in the book I was reading,there was one statement that we can't predict future due to uncertainty principle.that what my point is 'can we predict the future if we have all required resources or we can't because of uncertainty in position and velocity'

You can't predict the future to perfect accuracy, no, but predicting the future with greater than 99.999999% certainty, at minimum, still counts as 'predicting the future' in my book.

Likes pvk21
So there is really no use of quantum mechanics in cosmology?except predicting what happened at big bang.

pvk21 said:
So there is really no use of quantum mechanics in cosmology?except predicting what happened at big bang.

I wouldn't say that. I know it's important in nucleosynthesis. I'm sure there's other areas too.

Cool.thanx drakkith.quantum mechanics is pretty exciting field.

Cosmology does predict a lot of things about the future (e.g. lots of expansion and an increasingly lonely galaxy for us), like Newtonian mechanics predict the evolution of the solar system. I think that the scales concerned aren't very much affected by quantum uncertainty, probably more by chaotic unpredictability in deterministic systems. But does it matter if we can't tell exactly what the distance of the sun to a certain star in Andromeda will be in a billion year ? The prediction of a future collision of Andromeda with the Milky Way and how it might look at large scale surely is at least as interesting : )

One thing we can't predict as well is the weather next week.

I would also venture that the most interesting predictions tend to be about some coarse grained model of a complex system, and these can be accurate in some aspects long after they lose the ability to track every individual component, depending on the system under consideration.

pvk21 said:
According to laplace,universe is totally deterministic.(one can tell position of object future position of object if he knows current position and velocity)but Heisenbergs's tells us that there is always uncertainty in position of particle and velocity.but Heisenberg's uncertainty only applies to small particles.well we can predict position and velocity of large object.so we can still say that universe is deterministic.but it isn't.why is that?
One way to understand this is to state that the fundamental laws are perfectly-deterministic, but observations are not. This is what happens when you just use the wave equations of quantum mechanics: the appearance of collapse that arises from systems interacting with one another gives the appearance of a random result.

1. What is the role of quantum mechanics in cosmology?

Quantum mechanics plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles, which are the building blocks of the universe. It also helps explain the fundamental forces that govern the interactions between these particles, which has important implications for the formation and evolution of the universe.

2. How does quantum mechanics impact our understanding of the Big Bang?

Quantum mechanics helps us understand the fluctuations in the early universe that eventually led to the formation of galaxies and stars. It also plays a role in the inflationary theory, which suggests that the universe underwent a rapid expansion in the first fraction of a second after the Big Bang.

3. Can quantum mechanics explain the existence of dark matter and dark energy?

While quantum mechanics does not directly explain the existence of dark matter and dark energy, it does provide a framework for studying these mysterious phenomena. Some theories suggest that dark matter could be made up of particles that interact through quantum mechanics, and quantum field theory is used to study the behavior of dark energy.

4. How does quantum entanglement relate to the expansion of the universe?

Quantum entanglement, the phenomenon where two particles become correlated and behave as a single system even when separated by great distances, has been proposed as a possible explanation for the expansion of the universe. Some theories suggest that the entanglement of particles across vast distances could be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.

5. Are there any current research efforts exploring the role of quantum mechanics in cosmology?

Yes, there are many ongoing research efforts that are exploring the intersection of quantum mechanics and cosmology. Some scientists are studying the possibility of a quantum theory of gravity, while others are investigating the role of quantum fluctuations in the early universe. There is also ongoing research on the potential links between quantum mechanics and the multiverse theory.