Roll stiffness affecting Steering Effort .

In summary: The driver complained that the steering effort has increased considerably in the corners . This is likely because the front suspension geometry has been changed, which has decreased the effective roll moment and increased the roll stiffness.
satya430
I am currently working for a Touring Car Team . I have modified the front suspension geometry . Made the roll moment lesser and increased the Roll stiffness . Driver complained that the steering effort has increased considerably in the corners .

1.How does increased roll stiffness increase steering effort ? Does it have anything to do with the lateral load due to diff geometries pushing the tire down or giving it a more of a tire wall deformation effect ?

2.What are the methods to reduce steering effort other than
a.Reducing the scrub radius .
b.Increasing the knuckle moment (very difficult as it changes the steering geometry) .
c. Simply giving him a bigger steering wheel .

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
what exactly did you do? what is the car doing at turn entry, middle and turn exit?

I am working to change the stock suspension of a touring car (Mc Pherson Strut)
The front suspension geometry is being changed (the question above is about the new front geometry) . I have brought the front roll center of the car closer to the front Center of Mass(or mass centroid as referred to as in many books) . This has decreased the effective roll moment and thus increased my roll stiffness of the front without having to stiffen my springs .
Now as I have kept the new control arm ball joint in the same position of the old one , the KPI and scrub radius shouldn't have changed . As the driver complains that steering needs more effort now , what could have caused it .
The car trail brakes at the entry (dive-wt transfer to the front and roll-wt transfer to the outer ) . It kisses the apex (ideal condition) and then accelerates out of the corner . Pl. tell me if I am wrong .

i sure dfo believe the driver now has a handful driving..when you rasie the roll center it shortens the lever arm and you have a lot less weight being planted on the front tire in a turn. Plus you increase camber build
i am not a big fan of high RC..the lower, the better

1. How does roll stiffness affect steering effort?

The stiffness of a vehicle's suspension system, particularly the roll stiffness or the resistance to body roll, can significantly impact the amount of effort required to steer the vehicle. A higher roll stiffness can make the car feel more stable and responsive, requiring less effort to turn the wheels. On the other hand, a lower roll stiffness can make the car feel more sluggish and require more steering effort.

2. What is the relationship between roll stiffness and steering effort?

The relationship between roll stiffness and steering effort is directly proportional. This means that as the roll stiffness increases, the steering effort required decreases, and vice versa. This is because a stiffer suspension system can better resist the forces of body roll, making it easier to control the vehicle's direction.

3. How does roll stiffness affect handling and stability?

The roll stiffness of a vehicle's suspension system plays a crucial role in its handling and stability. A higher roll stiffness can improve the car's cornering abilities, making it feel more stable and responsive. On the other hand, a lower roll stiffness can lead to more body roll and reduce the car's stability, making it more challenging to control.

4. Is roll stiffness the only factor that affects steering effort?

No, roll stiffness is not the only factor that affects steering effort. Other factors such as the type of power steering system, tire grip, and weight distribution also play a role in determining the amount of effort needed to steer a vehicle. However, roll stiffness is a significant factor and can have a noticeable impact on steering effort.

5. Can the roll stiffness be adjusted to change steering effort?

Yes, the roll stiffness of a vehicle's suspension system can be adjusted to change the amount of steering effort required. This can be achieved by changing the suspension components or using adjustable suspension systems that allow for tuning the roll stiffness. However, it is essential to consider the overall impact on handling and stability when making such adjustments.