Roofless living during construction

In summary, the builders are here to renew my roof and chimney and it is going to be two weeks or more of hell. However, a friend has offered a place to keep my bikes in safety so at least I will be able to get some sleep. I hope the weather holds clear for you.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The builders are here to renew my roof and chimney, so it is going to be two weeks or more of hell, heck knows if i will ever get any sleep while they are banging around, luckily a friend has offered a place to keep my bikes in safety.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hope the weather holds clear for you. But I wonder why it will take so long? My new roof, with the tear off of the old one and new wood and insulation added, was done in 2 {8 hour}days.

hypatia said:
I hope the weather holds clear for you. But I wonder why it will take so long? My new roof, with the tear off of the old one and new wood and insulation added, was done in 2 {8 hour}days.

I was thinking the same, then remembered he still has a hole in his yard from a project that also should have taken a day or two to complete. Seems the workers in his parts are good at making holes, but not so good at filling them back in.

Why do I envision 2 old men and a shakey wooden ladder, first finding the nails and then tea, then up the ladder, only to have forgotten the hammer, then more tea anyone?
I'm sure the crew who did mine was about 18 men {all cute too} in all, and worked like a precision drill team.

It's woolie, woolie!
He's zany, madcap and never dull-
Ee-gads that egg exploded quite full-y!
Foot jammed in boot QUICK we need a pull-ey
His latest attic antic is wonderfull-y
manic, don't panic - it's WOOLIE!

Last edited:
hypatia said:

The building is listed ,which is a right royal pain in the ass, some dick head has been around this area and has even listed farm walls, so every slate on my roof has to be checked to see if it is re usable and all work has to be approved by English heritage.

By 'listed', do you mean that it's what we call a 'Heritage Site' in Alberta? As in, a building that is considered to be an historic item and can thus be altered only with the government's permission?
Anyhow, on the bright side, at least it never rains in England... :rolleyes:

Bikes? What do you have?

binzing said:
Bikes? What do you have?

BSA A7SS and a Velocette MAC.

Danger said:
By 'listed', do you mean that it's what we call a 'Heritage Site' in Alberta? As in, a building that is considered to be an historic item and can thus be altered only with the government's permission?
Anyhow, on the bright side, at least it never rains in England... :rolleyes:

You got it Danger, i am just waiting for the coach loads of japanese tourists to come visit my cottage, but then i think they would rather see Mary Arden's gaff.

Nice.

wolram said:
they would rather see Mary Arden's gaff.

Does that mean something else in England, or are you just testing the censors?

Danger said:
Does that mean something else in England, or are you just testing the censors?

It took some time to work out how one could misinterperate such an innocent line, and it is with shock and horror i think that anyone would think i could be lewd.

wolram said:
it is with shock and horror i think that anyone would think i could be lewd.

:rofl::rofl:
Lewdness came into existence with your birth, and you have been its primary defining factor ever since. My hat, sir, is off to you. :biggrin:

Actually, I was just yanking your chain.
I've never heard of Mary What'sherpickle and have no idea what 'gaff' means in England. Here, it's either a mistake as in 'blooper' or a long stick with a barb on the end to haul fish into a boat. Strangely enough, though, a gaffer is a lighting technician in show business. I really haven't a clue how they get that much light out of a fish, but I guess that's why they rake in the big bucks.
And you must admit that no pervert worthy of the title could leave a comment like yours just lying there without a response. There are reputations to uphold.

DaveC426913 said:
It's woolie, woolie!

I am quite normal, i am sure similar things happen to others it is just they are to shy to admit it, the only other possibility is that there is a perfect world out there, and that some barrier stops me getting into it.

Danger said:
:rofl::rofl:
Lewdness came into existence with your birth, and you have been its primary defining factor ever since. My hat, sir, is off to you. :biggrin:

Actually, I was just yanking your chain.
I've never heard of Mary What'sherpickle and have no idea what 'gaff' means in England. Here, it's either a mistake as in 'blooper' or a long stick with a barb on the end to haul fish into a boat. Strangely enough, though, a gaffer is a lighting technician in show business. I really haven't a clue how they get that much light out of a fish, but I guess that's why they rake in the big bucks.
And you must admit that no pervert worthy of the title could leave a comment like yours just lying there without a response. There are reputations to uphold.

Please allow me to enlighten you,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Arden

I would attempt to educate you further but your comments have becalmed my thoughts.

How can anyone think i am lewd, i am just aghast.

Ah, that was very helpful. Thanks.
Now what the hell is a 'gaff'? :confused:

Danger said:
Ah, that was very helpful. Thanks.
Now what the hell is a 'gaff'? :confused:

No 2 under gaff 2, It is an ancient word, well i can trace it all the way back to Dennis Waterman and the Sweeney.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gaff

DaveC426913 said:
It's woolie, woolie!
Love it. :approve:

hypatia said:
Why do I envision 2 old men and a shakey wooden ladder, first finding the nails and then tea, then up the ladder, only to have forgotten the hammer, then more tea anyone?

"Blimey! I've got nails in my tea!"

Speaking of lewdness, check out the "Flight of the Conchords" on YouTube. Search "If you're into it"

1. What is roofless living during construction?

Roofless living during construction refers to the temporary living situation where a person or family resides in a home without a completed roof. This typically occurs during the construction or renovation of a home, where the roof has not yet been installed or is being replaced.

2. Is it safe to live in a roofless home during construction?

While living in a roofless home during construction may seem unsafe, it is typically a temporary situation and can be done safely with proper precautions. These precautions may include temporary coverings over the open roof areas, securing the construction site, and following all safety protocols set by the construction team.

3. How long does roofless living during construction typically last?

The duration of roofless living during construction can vary depending on the size and complexity of the construction project. It can range from a few days to several months. It is best to consult with the construction team for a more accurate timeline.

4. What are the benefits of roofless living during construction?

There are several benefits to roofless living during construction. It allows for a more hands-on experience for the homeowner, as they can oversee the construction progress. It also allows for faster completion of the construction project, as the roof is often one of the final stages. Additionally, it can save money on rent or temporary housing expenses.

5. What are some tips for living in a roofless home during construction?

Some tips for living in a roofless home during construction include keeping the interior of the home clean and free of debris, following all safety precautions, communicating regularly with the construction team, and being patient with the process. It can also be helpful to have a backup plan for inclement weather or unexpected delays.