Root of Non-Linear Eqn (Numerical Method)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Newton's method to find the roots of a non-linear function F: \Re^{3}\rightarrow\Re and the possibility of generalizing it for the case of F: \Re^{n}\rightarrow\Re^{m} with m \neq n. The method involves choosing a starting point and using the tangent plane to approximate the next solution.
Apteronotus
Hi,

I have a non-linear function [tex]F: \Re^{3}\rightarrow\Re[/tex]. I would like to find the roots of this equation numerically, since an explicit formula cannot be derived.

As far as I am aware Newton's method can only be utilized when the domain and the range of the function are of the same degree. (i.e. [tex]F: \Re^{n}\rightarrow\Re^{n}[/tex])

Is there a method that can used for the case[tex]F: \Re^{n}\rightarrow\Re^{m}[/tex] with [tex]m \neq n[/tex]?

Thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have something like f(x,y,z)= 0 to solve? I see no reason why Newton's method could not be generalized to this. Choose some starting point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0). The tangent (hyper-)plane to u= f(x,y,z) at that point is [itex]u= \nabla f(x_0,y_0,z_0)\cdot(x- x_0,y-y_0,z- z_0)+ f(x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex]. Set that equal to 0 and solve for (x, y, z) as the next approximation.

1. What is a non-linear equation?

A non-linear equation is an equation in which the variables appear in terms that are not simply proportional to one another. This means that when the variables are graphed, the resulting curve is not a straight line.

2. What is the root of a non-linear equation?

The root of a non-linear equation is the value(s) of the variable(s) that make the equation true. In other words, it is the point(s) where the graph of the equation intersects the x-axis.

3. Why is it important to find the root of a non-linear equation?

Finding the root of a non-linear equation is important because it allows us to solve problems and make predictions in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It also helps us understand the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.

4. What is the numerical method for finding the root of a non-linear equation?

The numerical method for finding the root of a non-linear equation involves using a series of calculations and approximations to estimate the root. This can be done manually or with the help of a computer program.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using numerical methods for finding the root of a non-linear equation?

The advantages of using numerical methods are that they can be applied to a wide range of equations, including those that do not have closed-form solutions. They also provide a quick and efficient way to find the root. However, the main disadvantage is that they may not always be accurate, especially if the equation has multiple roots or if the initial guess is not close enough to the actual root.