1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Root of Non-Linear Eqn (Numerical Method)

1. Dec 22, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I have a non-linear function [tex]F: \Re^{3}\rightarrow\Re[/tex]. I would like to find the roots of this equation numerically, since an explicit formula cannot be derived.

As far as I am aware Newton's method can only be utilized when the domain and the range of the function are of the same degree. (i.e. [tex]F: \Re^{n}\rightarrow\Re^{n}[/tex])

Is there a method that can used for the case[tex]F: \Re^{n}\rightarrow\Re^{m}[/tex] with [tex]m \neq n[/tex]?

Thanks in advance,

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So you have something like f(x,y,z)= 0 to solve? I see no reason why Newton's method could not be generalized to this. Choose some starting point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0). The tangent (hyper-)plane to u= f(x,y,z) at that point is [itex]u= \nabla f(x_0,y_0,z_0)\cdot(x- x_0,y-y_0,z- z_0)+ f(x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex]. Set that equal to 0 and solve for (x, y, z) as the next approximation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?