Rotational excitation of quantum particle

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between classical rotational energy and quantum rotational excitation. The equation for the energy of a rotating system is modified to accommodate quantum mechanics by substituting angular momentum with quantized energy, while the moment of inertia remains in the denominator. This leads to the counterintuitive idea that smaller particles require more energy to spin, due to conflicting notions of angular momentum and moment of inertia in classical and quantum mechanics. The discussion also highlights the limitations of treating spin as classical angular momentum for point particles.
quantumSpaghetti
I was watching a lecture and there was a connection drawn between classical rotational energy and quantum rotational excitation. The energy of a rotating system is $$E = (L^2) / 2 I $$ with L being the angular momentum and I the moment of Inertia. Then to make it quantum$$ n^2 * ħ^2$$ was substituted for## L^2 ##on top so it just becomes $$E rot = (n^2 * ħ^2) / 2 I $$ It was then stated that for a given mass, because the Moment of inertia grows with the radius squared, then the smaller a particle (such as an electron) then the larger the energy require to rotationally excite it. What I don't understand is why is " I " substituted to quantized energy in the numerator but left in the denominator? Then conceptually, how can a smaller radius of a particle require more energy to spin? This goes against the classical metaphor and confuses me. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because in your equation the angular momentum is constant while the moment of inertia is decreasing. That means it must spin faster the smaller it is and your equation is telling you that to make it do that you must give it more energy.

Your intuition is running counter to that because it is assuming that a smaller object has less angular momentum (which is true classically for constant energy).

So you are holding two mutually contradictory ideas at once probably due to your intuition becoming confused between angular momentum and moment of inertia.

Incidentally, this highlights the problem with thinking of the spin of a point particle (such as an electron is usually thought of) as classical angular momentum. Because such a particle would have infinite energy. Rather to treat spin as classical angular momentum in your equation we must think of it as having a fixed moment of inertia and then the classical expression for moment of inertia breaks down. A more general way of thinking about it is that when discussing the properties of a quantum object at a space-time location, classical mechanics breaks down.

Likes quantumSpaghetti

1. What is rotational excitation of a quantum particle?

Rotational excitation is a process in which a quantum particle, such as an atom or molecule, gains energy and transitions to a higher rotational energy level. This can occur through collisions with other particles or through the absorption of photons.

2. How is rotational excitation of a quantum particle different from other forms of excitation?

Rotational excitation specifically refers to changes in the rotational energy of a particle, while other forms of excitation may involve changes in electronic, vibrational, or translational energy levels. Rotational excitation is also governed by different quantum mechanical principles than other types of excitation.

3. What is the significance of rotational excitation in quantum physics?

Rotational excitation plays an important role in understanding the behavior and properties of quantum particles. It is necessary to accurately describe the rotational energy levels of molecules and atoms, and it can also affect the outcomes of chemical reactions and the behavior of materials.

4. How is rotational excitation measured or observed in experiments?

Rotational excitation can be observed through spectroscopic techniques, which involve measuring the energy of photons emitted or absorbed by the particle. These measurements can reveal the changes in rotational energy levels and provide information about the structure and behavior of the particle.

5. Can rotational excitation be controlled or manipulated in quantum systems?

Yes, rotational excitation can be controlled through techniques such as laser manipulation or magnetic field manipulation. By carefully tuning these external factors, scientists can control the rotational energy levels of quantum particles and study their behavior in different environments.