1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Kinematics Problem - find the angular displacement

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The drive propeller of a ship starts from rest and accelerates at 2.90e-3 rad/s^2 for 2.1e3 seconds. For the nest 1.4e3 seconds, the propeller rotates at a constant angular speed. Then it decelerates at 2.3e-3 rad/s^2 until it slow (without reversing direction) to an angular speed of 4.0 rad/s. Find the total angular displacement of the propeller.

2. Relevant equations

a) w(t) = w0 + (alpha*time)

3. The attempt at a solution

Basically i used equation a) to solve for displacement for the first 2100 seconds, then for the next 1400 seconds I used equation a) and first found w0, and then plugged that value into theta= theta0+ w0*t +(1/2 alpha*time)

I took both these values and added them together.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi grandprix! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a theta: θ and an alpha: α and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    You seem to have the equations the wrong way round …

(and anyway it should be theta= theta0+ w0*t +(1/2 alpha*time-squared) :wink:)

just use the standard constant acceleration equations in the usual way, but with θ ω and α instead of s v and a :smile:

4. Jun 7, 2009 #3
    oh thank you so much! I tried to make the solution a lot more complicated than it is i guess.. and thank you for letting me know about where to find all the proper notations!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook