Rotational Momentum Problem Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a ballistic pendulum to find the maximum angle to which the arm and attached mass will swing in two different cases: one where the arm is treated as an ideal pendulum and one where it is treated as a thin rigid rod. Relevant equations and attempts to solve the problem are also mentioned. It is suggested that using momentum conservation and then conservation of energy can help find the required angle. However, it is noted that energy is not conserved in the impact stage. Ultimately, the use of Newton's Second Law may be necessary to solve the problem.
xnitexlitex
A ballistic pendulum consists of an arm of mass M and length L = 0.55 m. One end of the arm is pivoted so that the arm rotates freely in a vertical plane. Initially, the arm is motionless and hangs vertically from the pivot point. A projectile of the same mass M hits the lower end of the arm with a horizontal velocity of V = 1.8 m/s. The projectile remains stuck to the free end of the arm during their subsequent motion. Find the maximum angle to which the arm and attached mass will swing in each case.

a) The arm is treated as an ideal pendulum, with all of its mass concentrated as a point mass at the free end.

b) The arm is treated as a thin rigid rod, with its mass evenly distributed along its length.

Relevant equations:
mvL = (Irod + Iprojf
Ei = Ef
There might be a simpler equation, though.

Here's how I tried to solve it:
First, I solved for ωf by substituting the moments of inertia. I ended up with this:

ωf = mvL / [(1/3)mL2 + mL2] , which became:
3mv/(mL+3m).

Then, I used energy conservation, resulting in this equation:
1/2(Irod + Iprojf2 + mg(L/2) = mg(L-L cos θ) + mg{L/2 + [(L/2) - (L/2 cos θ)]}

I canceled the masses, yet I still got it wrong. I can't seem to find a way to simplify the equation! All the above is for part B. If I can get part B, I can get A, since it's the same, but with one less moment of inertia to worry about. All help is appreciated.

I'm sorry if this post isn't perfect. This is my first post here.

Physics news on Phys.org
1st stage: initially both projectile and pendulum are at rest.
2nd stage: the projectile hits and gets embedded in the pendulum.
3rd stage: both move as one body to a final angle.

I do not think that energy is conserved from stage (1) to stage (3) as shown above because in the impact at stage (2) energy is 'lost'.

grzz said:
1st stage: initially both projectile and pendulum are at rest.
2nd stage: the projectile hits and gets embedded in the pendulum.
3rd stage: both move as one body to a final angle.

I do not think that energy is conserved from stage (1) to stage (3) as shown above because in the impact at stage (2) energy is 'lost'.

Okay, but using momentum conservation doesn't get me the angle. Do I need Newton's Second Law?

Momentum conservation will give the speed of the combined system just after impact. THEN conservation of energy can be used and this will give the angle required.

Dear scientist,

Thank you for your question and for providing your work and thought process so far. It seems like you are on the right track in solving this rotational momentum problem.

One suggestion I have is to check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations. For example, in your first equation, the units for ωf should be in radians/second, but the units for the moments of inertia are in kg*m^2, so there may be an error in your calculation there.

Additionally, in your energy conservation equation, you can simplify the right side by combining the terms with cos θ. This will result in a quadratic equation, which you can solve for θ using the quadratic formula.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem-solving! Keep in mind that it's always helpful to double check your units and equations to make sure they are consistent and accurate.

What is rotational momentum and why is it important to study?

Rotational momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating. It is important to study because it helps us understand the motion and stability of rotating objects, which is relevant in many fields such as engineering and physics.

How is rotational momentum different from linear momentum?

Rotational momentum involves the rotation of an object around an axis, while linear momentum is the movement of an object in a straight line. Rotational momentum also takes into account the object's mass, shape, and angular velocity, whereas linear momentum only considers mass and linear velocity.

What factors affect an object's rotational momentum?

The three main factors that affect an object's rotational momentum are its mass, radius of rotation, and angular velocity. The higher the mass, the greater the momentum. The greater the radius of rotation, the greater the momentum. And the higher the angular velocity, the greater the momentum.

How do you calculate rotational momentum?

The formula for calculating rotational momentum is: L = Iω, where L is the rotational momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia depends on the object's mass and shape, while angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular position.

Can rotational momentum be conserved?

Yes, rotational momentum can be conserved in a closed system where no external forces act on the system. This means that the total amount of rotational momentum will remain constant even if the objects within the system change their rotation. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.