Rotational Quantum Number J: Understanding Its Role in Microwave Spectroscopy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Chemist20
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
Is it the same as the total angular momentum quantum number ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? Usually, in QM, J is used to describe the total angular momentum operator and the corresponding eigenvalue, same as orbital angular momentum L

The quantum number, however, does not equal to the value of total angular momentum. Orbital angular momentum number l, for example, usually represents (I can't remember the exact notation) total of l(l+1).
 
ZealScience said:
What do you mean? Usually, in QM, J is used to describe the total angular momentum operator and the corresponding eigenvalue, same as orbital angular momentum L

The quantum number, however, does not equal to the value of total angular momentum. Orbital angular momentum number l, for example, usually represents (I can't remember the exact notation) total of l(l+1).


yeah that's what I thought! But if you look up info about microwave spectroscopy, they talk about J as rotational QN!