Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotations in nth Dimensional Space

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    Let me start by saying I do not have a lot of background in linear algebra, but I'm not afraid of learning. I am working on a flash animation with action script. That does the following:
    1. Start with a point.
    2. Add width so it turns into a line.
    3. Rotate about the x-y plane 360 deg.
    4. Add height so it turns into a square.
    5. Rotate about the x-y plane 360 deg.
    6. Add depth so it turns into a cube.
    7. Rotate about the x-z plane 360 deg.
    8. Add 4 dimensional length so it turns into a hypercube.
    I plan on going up to about 10 dimensions before the animation ends.

I have to code to:
    -Create the wire frame for an nth dimensional cube.
    -Orthographic projection of the verticies into 2d space for drawing.
    -Animate the new "dimension being added". The last component of the vector for each vertex starts at zero and approaches the correct value over time.

Basically the only thing I am missing is rotating the cube. I am having a hard time generalizing rotations into nth dimensional space. I came across an article on Wikipedia that looks promising at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_matrix#Axis_of_a_rotation. The formula is:
    [tex]R = \mathbf{u}\otimes\mathbf{u} + \cos\theta(1-\mathbf{u}\otimes\mathbf{u}) + \sin\theta[\mathbf u]_{\times}[/tex]
    where
    R is the rotation matrix.
    u is a unit vector.
    [tex]\otimes[/tex] is the outer product.
    [tex][\mathbf u]_{\times}[/tex] is the skew symmetric form of u.

I do not understand though how you get the skew symmetric form of u. Reading the Wikipedia page on skew symmetric matrices does not help me understand how u goes from a vector to a square matrix. Does anybody have any tips or references that might help please?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In three-dimensions we can associate a vector with a skew-symmetric matrix. A 3 by 3 matrix generally has 9 entries. But for skew-symmetric, [itex]a_{nm}= -a{mn}[/itex] we must have [itex]a_{nn}= -a_{nn}[/itex] so all diagonal entries are 0. That leaves 9- 3= 6 entries and, once we have set, say, the 3 above the diagonal, the other 3 are fixed. That is, 3 by 3 skew-symmetric matrix has 3 independent entries, just like a 3- vector. The standard way of associating a skew-symmetric matrix to a vector is to associate the [itex]n^{th}[/itex] basis vector with the matrix having 0s along the [itex]n^{th}[/itex] column and row, -1 above the diagonal and 1 below. (-1 below the axis and 1 above would also give rotations about the vector as axis but with reversed direction.)

Specifically, [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] maps to the matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[itex]\vec{j}[/itex] maps to the matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & -1 \\0 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[itex]\vec{k}[/itex] maps to the matrix
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

And so a general vector, [itex]a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k}[/itex] maps to
    [tex]a\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}+ b\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & -1 \\0 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}+ c\begin{bmatrix}0 & -1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex][tex]= \begin{bmatrix}0 & -c & -b \\ c & 0 & -a \\ b & a & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook