Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Russia aided Hussein in 2003, Pentagon claims

1. Mar 24, 2006 #1
    I'll preface this by mentioning the obvious, that this disclosure comes after a week of new rifts between the US and Russia, in particular Lavrov's affirmation that Russia will not support UN sanctions on Iran at the ongoing Security Council summit (read more at Reuters).

link

Talk about hostile diplomacy... what is the intent of this report? Are they trying to put pressure on to alter their Iran stance, or retaliate for failed negotiations, or further discredit Lavrov in the western world, or what? Is the co-timing with the Belarussian situation relevant?

Or is this a mere fact-finding investigation, being undertaken by neutral minds in a political and diplomatic vacuum? :wink:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Its Russian/American diplomacy.

4. Mar 24, 2006 #3
    I said as much...

5. Mar 24, 2006 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it's blown out of perspective. Russia omitted the most important tidbit of information:

Here's a more detailed story on Russian intel: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11995121/

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  6. Mar 24, 2006 #5
    LOL, so there can be benefits to being wishy-washy!

7. Mar 24, 2006 #6
    Cold war II?
    I guess the Union of soviet socilst republic/Russia vs. United states of America didn't end in 1990.I guess some people still don't like the U.S. "defeting" the soviets during the 1990's

8. Mar 25, 2006 #7

SOS2008

Gold Member

So the information is classified and can't be verified--imagine that. And if the information is true, it was gathered via eavesdropping--how ironic. And if the information was passed to Iraq it did not help Saddam because he was living in his own reality and was even more inept than the invading Commander-in-Chief. Hah!

The negative press about Russia at this time woudn't have anything to do with this, would it?

"Russia opposes punitive UN Council action on Iran" - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060308/wl_nm/nuclear_iran_russia_dc

9. Mar 25, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Lots of countries spy on eachother, let alone the US and Russians. See, no one really trusts anyone.... even EU nations spy on eachother. It's a well accepted practice to keep things in order. No country wants to be caught in the dark when anything happens :wink:

10. Mar 26, 2006 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Old habits die hard. If true, this doesn't surprise me a bit, nor does it particularly concern me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?