1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

S and P waves.

1. Nov 18, 2003 #1
    It seems to me that this is just a simple algebra problem, that doesn't have much to do with waves, but it's the only problem on the homework that I can't figure out. :-/ I know there's an easy solution to it, but I keep getting the wrong answer. Anyway, here it goes:

A seismographic station receives S and P waves from an earthquake, 18.2 s apart. Suppose that the waves have traveled over the same path, at speeds of 4.50 km/s and 7.00 km/s respectively. Find the distance from the seismometer to the epicenter of the quake.

Anyone have any help? I know the solution must be blindingly obvious. [?]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2003 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Both S and P waves travel the same distance. Use the venerable formula, Distance = Speed x Time, to calculate D based on the difference in T.

4. Nov 18, 2003 #3
    Thanks I knew it had something to do with that formula, and I figured it out.

change in time = d/v1 - d/v2. :)

5. Nov 18, 2003 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As you know,

[tex]
    \begin{equation*}
    \begin{split}
    distance &= velocity \times time\\
    s &= v t
    \end{split}
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

The distances are the same in each case, so you have

[tex]
    s = v_s t_s = v_p t_p
    [/tex]

where s,p denote the two kinds of waves.

The s wave takes 18.2 seconds to reach the detector than the p wave. This means

[tex]
    t_s = t_p + 18.2
    [/tex]

Substitute this into the previous equation:

[tex]
    v_s (t_p + 18.2) = v_p t_p
    [/tex]

Solve for [tex]t_p[/tex]. You then know the time taken by the p-wave, and the speed of the p-wave, so the distance is easily found.

- Warren

6. Nov 18, 2003 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yup. :smile:

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?