Same method not working in 2 age problems

In summary: These are all questions that can be answered with a straightforward mathematical calculation. However, it would be a good idea to get in the habit of checking your answers.
zak100

Homework Statement

Q1. Lindsay is twice as old as she was 10 years ago. Kimberly is half as old as she will be in 10 years.

Find Lindsay’s age now?

Find Kimberly’s age now?

Q2.
In 8 years Tiffany will be 3 times as old as she is now. The number of years until Tiffany will be 6 times as old as she is now.

Homework Equations

Simple algebric equation of one variable

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1 Solution:
Let L = Lindsay’s age & K = Kimberly’s age

L=2(L-10)=>L=20

K=1/2(K+10)=>k=10

Q2 Solution:
T = 3(T+8)

But this is not correct. Some body guide me. The wordings of two questions are same but why same technique not working.Zulfi.

Physics news on Phys.org
zak100 said:
Q2 Solution:
T = 3(T+8)
How are you defining T here? Age now?

zak100 said:
Q2 Solution:
T = 3(T+8)

But this is not correct.
Because your equation is wrong.
Your equation says that Tiffany's age now is equal to 3 times her age in 8 years. That can't be true. People's ages normally get larger, not smaller.

Hi,

I am able to find out the correct equation. The correct equation is:

T+8 = 3T

The complete question is:

In 8 years Tiffany will be 3 times as old as she is now. The number of years until Tiffany will be 6 times as old as she is now. Find out the number of years until Tiffany will be 6 times as old as she is now.My solution is:

T+8 = 3T =>2T = 8 => T =4

6 times = 6 * 4= 24

Therefore number of years until Tiffany will be 6 times as old as she is now = 24-20 =20

Please tell me if its right or wrong.Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Please tell me if its right or wrong.
It's right.

zak100 said:
Q2.
In 8 years Tiffany will be 3 times as old as she is now. The number of years until Tiffany will be 6 times as old as she is now.

zak100 said:
My solution is:

T+8 = 3T =>2T = 8 => T =4
So, in the language of the problem, Tiffany's age right now is 4.
zak100 said:
6 times = 6 * 4= 24

Therefore number of years until Tiffany will be 6 times as old as she is now = 24-20 =20

Please tell me if its right or wrong.
There's no need to ask us to confirm whether your answer is correct or not. You should get in the habit of checking your answers. If you start out by defining your variables clearly, then it makes it easier to write correct equations as well as to check your solutions.

In this problem, Tiffany's age now is 4. How old will she be in 8 years? Will her age then be three times her age now? In 20 years how old will she be? Will her age by six times what it is now?

1. Why is the same method not working for two different age problems?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that the method is not suitable for both age problems due to differences in variables or constraints. Another possibility is that there may be errors in the calculations or data used for one of the problems.

2. Can the same method be modified to work for both age problems?

It is possible to modify the method to make it work for both age problems. This could involve adjusting the variables or constraints, or finding alternative data sources. However, it may require further research and experimentation.

3. Are there other methods that can be used for both age problems?

Yes, there are likely multiple methods that can be used for both age problems. It is important to consider the specific variables and constraints of each problem to determine the most suitable method.

4. Is it common for the same method to not work for different age problems?

It is not uncommon for the same method to not work for different age problems. Each problem may have unique variables and constraints that require a tailored approach.

5. How can I determine which method is most suitable for a specific age problem?

To determine the most suitable method for a specific age problem, it is important to carefully analyze the variables and constraints involved. Then, research and experimentation can be used to find the most effective method.