Say Hi to my Planetary Geophysicist niece

In summary, a new member named Anastasia from Latvia has joined Physics Forums. She is getting her PhD in Planetary Geophysics and is the niece of the user's brother's wife, making the user her aunt. The user encourages others to leave a welcome message on her profile. The conversation also includes a discussion about planetary geophysics, the world's smallest vertebrate, and a fish slapping ceremony.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I found I had a new niece the other day! She is getting her PhD in Planetary Geophysics and she's joined PF! Her name is Anastasia and she is from Latvia, she is my brother's wife's niece, making me her Aunt, apparently.

She just signed up, so hasn't posted yet, but you can leave her a welcome message on her profile if you would like https://www.physicsforums.com/member.php?u=204035

Do not frighten her away!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing greater than a sardine allowed, Evo?

hmmm...is there a geophysics that's not planetary?

jobyts said:
hmmm...is there a geophysics that's not planetary?
Planetary geophysics – the study of the planets, including earth.

http://www.annalsofgeophysics.net/Planetary_Geophysics.html

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno said:
Nothing greater than a sardine allowed, Evo?
A sardine would be lovely "thwip, thwip, thwip".

We haven't had a proper fish slapping ceremony in some time.

We could go even daintier and use some of these:
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/about-us/news/2006/jan/images/fish-in-hand-150_7502_1.jpg​

Paedocypris progenetica... the world's smallest vertebrate or backboned animal (at least as of January 2006).

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty soon the whole Evo family will join :approve:

1. Who is a Planetary Geophysicist?

A Planetary Geophysicist is a scientist who studies the physical properties and processes of planets, moons, and other celestial bodies. They use a combination of physics, geology, and other scientific disciplines to understand the formation and evolution of these objects.

2. What kind of work does a Planetary Geophysicist do?

A Planetary Geophysicist conducts research on various planetary bodies and their geological processes. They may also analyze data from space missions, create computer models, and collaborate with other scientists to better understand the behavior of these objects.

3. What skills are required to become a Planetary Geophysicist?

To become a Planetary Geophysicist, you will need a strong background in physics, geology, and mathematics. In addition, analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work with large datasets and computer models, are essential for this career.

4. What is the importance of studying planetary geophysics?

Studying planetary geophysics helps us better understand the formation and evolution of planets and other celestial bodies in our solar system and beyond. It also provides valuable information about the potential for extraterrestrial life and the potential for future human exploration and colonization of other planets.

5. How can I learn more about planetary geophysics?

There are many resources available to learn more about planetary geophysics, including books, scientific journals, and online courses. You can also attend conferences and workshops, and consider pursuing a degree in geophysics or a related field to gain a deeper understanding of this fascinating subject.