Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scatter vs diffusion

1. Feb 11, 2006 #1
    Hi. I want to know whats the difference between scatter and diffusion.... I am trying to understand what happens to the electromagnetic wave when we are talking about scattering and about light diffusion.. I think that the result of scattering it to make the light to diffuse.. Is that right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Scattering usually is used when the number of changes by the medium is small and somewhat separated. Diffusion is used when there are a large number of changes and the separations are small.

4. Feb 23, 2006 #3
    Thx a lot for your answer but can u plx expalin me a little more what u have said above

5. Feb 24, 2006 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For example - a photon (gamma ray) hits an electron and changes direction. This is a single scatter. Alternatively - light going through a fog undergoes many interactions (individual scatters don't mean much) This is diffusion. To some extent, quantitative difference becomes qualitative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?