Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scatter vs diffusion

1. Feb 11, 2006 #1
    Hi. I want to know whats the difference between scatter and diffusion.... I am trying to understand what happens to the electromagnetic wave when we are talking about scattering and about light diffusion.. I think that the result of scattering it to make the light to diffuse.. Is that right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

Scattering usually is used when the number of changes by the medium is small and somewhat separated. Diffusion is used when there are a large number of changes and the separations are small.

4. Feb 23, 2006 #3
    Thx a lot for your answer but can u plx expalin me a little more what u have said above

5. Feb 24, 2006 #4

mathman

Science Advisor

For example - a photon (gamma ray) hits an electron and changes direction. This is a single scatter. Alternatively - light going through a fog undergoes many interactions (individual scatters don't mean much) This is diffusion. To some extent, quantitative difference becomes qualitative.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook