Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schroedinger equation with angular momentum operators

1. Jan 10, 2012 #1
    Hi, I have just started looking at angular momentum in quantum mechanics and I am considering the question, ''Write down the Schrodinger-like equations for the orbital angular momentum operators L^2 and Lz. Would I be correct in thinking this would be;

L^2|ψ=l(l+1)ħ|ψ
    Lz|ψ=mlħ|ψ

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2
    If I understand your question, you are close. Take a look at the units of the first equation, the left and right sides don't match.

4. Jan 10, 2012 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those are Eigenvalue equations, and are true if your wavefunction are eigenfunctions of the respective operators with those eigenvalues. They are not true for general wavefunctions.

I also wouldn't call them Schroedinger-like, since they do not tell you the time evolution of the wave-function. I don't really know what you are looking for though.

5. Jan 11, 2012 #4
    The question itself has been lifted straight from a text and thats what is causing me some issues as I don't fully undertsand exactly what it is looking for.I believe it is just the general waveform I am looking for in this instance.

edit:

Ok, so now I have

E|ψ(t)=L^2/2I||ψ(t)

but I ma still unsure as to how this equation would look using Lz as the operator.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook