Sci-fi Great Author Harlon Ellison has Died

• Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sci-fi
In summary, Harlan Ellison, one of the world's foremost science fiction writers, has died at 84 after a long and fruitful career. His works include the post-apocalyptic novel A Boy and His Dog, as well as the short story collections Shatterday and City on the Edge of Forever. He wrote the episode for the original Star Trek series, and his other notable works include the Star Trek: The Outer Limits TV series episodes Soldier and Bread and Circuses.
From the article:

Harlan Ellison, one of the world’s foremost science fiction writers, has died at 84. His death was announced by family friend Christine Valada via twitter. Though Ellison was a longtime resident of Los Angeles, the location of death was not disclosed.
Related
Harlan Ellison Remembered: "No One Quite Like Him", Stephen King Says

Tweeted Valada, the widow of Wolverine creator Len Wein: “Susan Ellison has asked me to announce the passing of writer Harlan Ellison, in his sleep, earlier today. “For a brief time I was here, and for a brief time, I matter.’ – HE, 1934-2018. Arrangements for a celebration are pending.”

Among Ellison’s highly influential and very popular novels and novellas are 1969’s post-apocalyptic A Boy and His Dog (made into a 1975 cult film staring a young Don Johnson) and, among the very many short story collections, 1980’s Shatterday, which included the remarkable title story that became the basis for the very first episode of the rebooted 1985 Twilight Zone.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/harlan-ellison-dies-sci-fi-writer-was-84-1202419133/

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Harlan Ellison, extraordinarily powerful sci-fic writer (and controversial character) died yesterday.

R.I.P

EDIT: oops ... thought I was starting a new thread. Thanks for moving it.

Last edited:
phinds said:
Harlan Ellison, extraordinarily powerful sci-fic writer

ohh my, I have never heard of him, and I was such a prolific SciFi reader in years gone by

jedishrfu said:
A clip from the beginning of City on the Edge of Forever episode

he wrote that episode, I assume ?

was a good one :smile:

Dave

Ellison wrote the episode but Roddenberry took the basic story idea and rewrote the script which ignited a lifelong disputes between them.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and davenn
jedishrfu said:
Ellison wrote the episode but Roddenberry took the basic story idea and rewrote the script which ignited a lifelong disputes between them.
ohh wow, never knew that either … the things I learn on The Physics Forums :smile:

Likes jedishrfu
davenn said:
never heard of him
"A Boy and His Dog?"

Bystander said:
"A Boy and His Dog?"
had to google that for more info

doesn't seem familiar :frown:

He wrote some of the best Star Trek stories. Sad that he is gone. I remember a radio interview he gave years ago. I was a university student. I remember his intelligence. One of his books had a great title. "The Glass Teat." It was about TV. What a great title that was. Goodbye Mr. Ellison. Thanks for the great stories.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
He wrote some of the best Star Trek stories.

He only wrote one, and that one was drastically rewritten by Gene Coon.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Vanadium 50 said:
He only wrote one, and that one was drastically rewritten by Gene Coon.

My mistake. Thanks for the correction. I knew he wrote "The City on the Edge of Forever" which was one of the most brilliant episodes. I was thinking he also wrote "The Cloud Minders." I looked it up and it was actually written by someone else.

He also wrote "Soldier" which I think was one of the best Outer Limits episodes. That original Outer Limits series had some of the best made-for-TV SF ever.

I saw Soldier only once, as a kid. It was terrifying, so much so that I could never watch it again. Perhaps because it seemed so real. To avoid spoilers I won't go into detail. It was simply a brilliant story. Michael Ansara was perfect for the role of the soldier.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the cause of Harlon Ellison's death?

Harlan Ellison passed away on June 28, 2018 at the age of 84 due to natural causes.

2. What are some of Harlon Ellison's most famous works?

Harlan Ellison was a prolific writer and has written over 1,700 short stories, essays, and screenplays. Some of his most famous works include "A Boy and his Dog", "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", and "The City on the Edge of Forever" episode of Star Trek.

3. How did Harlon Ellison's work impact the science fiction genre?

Harlan Ellison was known for his groundbreaking and thought-provoking works that pushed the boundaries of the science fiction genre. His stories often tackled social and political issues, challenging readers to think critically about the world around them. His contributions have greatly influenced the genre and inspired many other writers.

4. Was Harlon Ellison recognized for his work?

Yes, Harlan Ellison was a highly decorated writer. He won multiple Hugo, Nebula, and Edgar awards, as well as being inducted into the Science Fiction and Fantasy Hall of Fame. He was also awarded the Grand Master Award by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

5. Will there be any future works from Harlon Ellison?

There are a few unpublished works from Harlan Ellison, including a final short story collection and an unfinished novel. It is unclear if these works will be published posthumously, but his legacy and impact on the science fiction genre will continue to live on through his existing works.