Science Biographies: Books on Isaac Newton & More

  • Thread starter IamBatman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discussed recommendations for books about scientists and their lives, particularly Sir Isaac Newton. James Gleick's book about Newton was suggested, along with a link to a website with biographies about various individuals, including scientists. "All the Adventures of a Curious Character" by Richard Feynman was also recommended as a highly entertaining and informative biography about one of the greatest physicists of all time. The conversation ended with gratitude for the recommendations.
  • #1
6
0
Hi all, I was just wondering if you guys know of some good books that would show previous scientists lives and how they discovered what they did.

I'm a huge Sir Isaac Newton fan especially, but it seems impossible to find anything on him?

Also if it's not too much, could you list your favourite science books as well or any that you could recommend (All sciences are welcome'd by me), I'd love to give them a read!


Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
Have you read James Gleick's book about Newton?

That should be a good starting point.
 
  • #3
Following link has a lot of biographies about people (some scientists are also there). I haven't seen all the videos but the ones I saw were good. And yes these are videos rather than books you wanted.
http://www.infocobuild.com/books-and-films/biography.html
 
  • #4
IamBatman,

I highly recommend "All the Adventures of a Curious Character" - Richard Feynman.

It's highly entertaining, informative, and inspirational. Feynman was one of the greatest Physicists of all time, and he was a very interesting person. The book is funny, sad, and intellectually stimulating. It is the greatest Science biography book that I've ever had the pleasure to read.
 
  • #5
f95toli said:
Have you read James Gleick's book about Newton?

That should be a good starting point.

I haven't heard about it but I will definitely give it a read! Thanks


Avichal said:
Following link has a lot of biographies about people (some scientists are also there). I haven't seen all the videos but the ones I saw were good. And yes these are videos rather than books you wanted.
http://www.infocobuild.com/books-and-films/biography.html

The link doesn't seem to be working for me. Thanks though!
MrTheBard said:
IamBatman,

I highly recommend "All the Adventures of a Curious Character" - Richard Feynman.

It's highly entertaining, informative, and inspirational. Feynman was one of the greatest Physicists of all time, and he was a very interesting person. The book is funny, sad, and intellectually stimulating. It is the greatest Science biography book that I've ever had the pleasure to read.

Ah good ol' Feyman, I only know of some of his works, and didn't read in depth about him too much. I will definitely pick this one up though, thanks!

Thanks guys! :DEdit: The link works now! Thanks, Avichal!
 
Last edited:

1. Who is Isaac Newton?

Isaac Newton (1642-1726) was a renowned English physicist and mathematician who is widely recognized as one of the most influential scientists in history. He is best known for his laws of motion and universal gravitation, as well as his contributions to the field of optics.

2. What are some notable books about Isaac Newton?

Some popular books about Isaac Newton include "Isaac Newton" by James Gleick, "Newton: The Making of Genius" by Patricia Fara, and "The Life of Isaac Newton" by Richard S. Westfall. These biographies provide in-depth looks at Newton's life, work, and impact on science.

3. Are there any other famous scientists featured in "Science Biographies: Books on Isaac Newton & More"?

Yes, there are many other notable scientists featured in this collection of biographies. Some examples include Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, Marie Curie, and Galileo Galilei. Each book offers a unique perspective on these influential figures and their contributions to science.

4. What makes biographies about scientists important to read?

Biographies about scientists allow readers to gain a deeper understanding of the personal and professional lives of these individuals. They provide insight into the challenges, discoveries, and impact of these scientists, and can inspire others to pursue their own scientific passions.

5. Are there any books in "Science Biographies: Books on Isaac Newton & More" geared towards younger readers?

Yes, there are several biographies in this collection that are specifically written for younger readers. Some examples include "Isaac Newton: Giants of Science" by Kathleen Krull, "Who Was Isaac Newton?" by Janet B. Pascal, and "Newton and Me" by Lynne Mayer. These books offer engaging and accessible introductions to Newton's life and work for children.

Suggested for: Science Biographies: Books on Isaac Newton & More

Back
Top