Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series on Apple TV+

In summary: There ARE original illustrations of Mule available. The ones from Astounding, 1945.I have a guess that it will be like Expanse, nice scenes and acting, otherwise a total lame space pulp, barely similar to what Asimov imagined.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Previously, there was a possibility that HBO would make a series,
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/hbo-will-make-asimovs-foundation.781302/

but, https://www.bbc.com/culture/article...the-unfilmable-sci-fi-epic-now-on-our-screens

Filmmaker David S Goyer was working alongside James Cameron as a scriptwriter on Terminator: Dark Fate, when he received the news that the rights to the science-fiction classic Foundation by visionary author Isaac Asimov had become available. Was he interested?

Goyer was introduced to Foundation on his 13th birthday when given a copy of the original trilogy by his father, with whom he had a troubled relationship. Many years later, his terminally ill father asked Goyer – by then the screenwriter of the Blade trilogy and collaborator with Christopher Nolan on the Dark Knight trilogy – if he'd done anything right as a parent. "You instilled in me a love for science fiction and fantasy, and I've gone on to build a career around that," Goyer told him. One of the last things they ever discussed was whether Goyer would get the opportunity to film Foundation, which his father regarded as the greatest work of science fiction.

So, when Goyer was told four years ago that the rights were once again in play, he took the night to think about it but his answer was never really in doubt. He pitched it to Apple TV+ as "a 1,000-year chess game between Hari Seldon and the Empire… All of the other characters are being utilised as pawns by one side or the other. But in chess, if a pawn makes it to the opposing side, it becomes a queen, and those shifting power dynamics can happen in our story." And part of the solution to the problems presented by the complexity and scale of the work is to tell the story via long-form television – the first season has 10 episodes – rather than to try to compress it into a movie or even a trilogy of movies, as previous attempts have done.

Will he pull it off?

Likes BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Yikes, I'm shuddering already. It would be wrong to prejudge the film in this way, but I'm minded of the illustrated Folio edition of Foundation & Empire, in which the Mule is depicted pretty much as a regular bloke (p.230), which only goes to show that the illustrator responsible for this travesty never bothered to read the book. I wonder if the film's special effects will include palls of cigar smoke.

Dr Wu said:
Yikes, I'm shuddering already. It would be wrong to prejudge the film in this way, but I'm minded of the illustrated Folio edition of Foundation & Empire, in which the Mule is depicted pretty much as a regular bloke (p.230), which only goes to show that the illustrator responsible for this travesty never bothered to read the book. I wonder if the film's special effects will include palls of cigar smoke.
There ARE original illustrations of Mule available. The ones from Astounding, 1945.

Likes Dr Wu
I have a guess that it will be like Expanse, nice scenes and acting, otherwise a total lame space pulp, barely similar to what Asimov imagined. But maybe i ll be wrong.

1. What is the premise of Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series on Apple TV+?

The Foundation Series is based on Isaac Asimov's iconic science fiction novels, which follow the story of a group of scientists who are trying to preserve human knowledge and culture in a galaxy on the brink of collapse.

2. How closely does the TV series follow the books?

The TV series follows the general plot and themes of the books, but there are some changes and additions to the story in order to adapt it for television.

3. Who is involved in the production of the Foundation Series on Apple TV+?

The series is produced by Skydance Television and is executive produced by David S. Goyer, Josh Friedman, and showrunner David Ellison. It also features a star-studded cast including Jared Harris, Lee Pace, and Lou Llobell.

4. Is the Foundation Series suitable for all ages?

The Foundation Series is rated TV-14, which means it may not be suitable for children under the age of 14. It contains some violence and mature themes.

5. How many episodes are in the first season of the Foundation Series?

The first season of the Foundation Series consists of 10 episodes, with each episode being approximately one hour long.